Experience with .308 in long action

TK 1985

As the title says, does anybody here have experience with .308 sized cartridges in a long action? I know the US Army's M24 uses a long action because at some point they wanted the option to rebarrel to .300 Win. Also a consideration was longer OAL I believe. With the military looking at 6.5 Creedmoor in their semis, I got a bug to build a M24/M40 style rifle in that cartridge. With 6.5 the longer OAL is def more attractive, I also saw the feeding angle is a factor too.

Just asking here because I'm sure some of you have already built a short cartridge on a long action or have spent trigger time behind the M24 courtesy of Uncle Sam.

I personally haven't, but I know of some guys that were throating .308's for the 215 Berger, OAL around 3.150-3.200 if I recall, and out of 28" tubes getting them up to 2750 fps with powders like RL17, quite impressive. Most of them were single loading short actions, but same concept for a long or medium action would work. I know a .260AI throated long for a 156 would be quite impressive as well, I'm getting 2940 with the 156 from a 29" tube running 2.950, properly throated would be about 3.110".

Yeah wouldn't be a single shot, loading from the internal box or fit it with an AICS detachable mag system. I guess when I say long action I mean standard like .30-06 length, I'm not sure what a medium action is.

Yeah wouldn't be a single shot, loading from the internal box or fit it with an AICS detachable mag system. I guess when I say long action I mean standard like .30-06 length, I'm not sure what a medium action is.
There are a few companies making custom medium actions, mag length around 3.2"-3.3", specifically for what your saying. A ruger long action is closer to a medium as well, OAL in the box is 3.430". They make good donor actions for what your saying if you know how to properly bed them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.