Experience on “Blemished” Scopes?

Mark37082

I have never purchased a blemished scope or a used scope for that matter. I'm really not fully understanding the degree or definition of blemished from retailers. An imperfection on the tube finish is of no real concern for me, but a scratch or imperfection on the lense or other function of the scope is a problem. It's hard not to be interested in saving serious $$ when seeing a higher end scope listed as blemished. However, the old saying of buyer be aware has kept me just looking instead of buying. I am interested in hearing of others' experiences with blemished scopes.

I bought a blemished Leupold scope from Midway. Everything was flawless except the black anodizing was slightly off around the objective bell. You could barely notice it in certain lighting. It was a great deal.

Thanks. I agree after looking at recently hunted scopes. I don't baby my equipment, but do like knowing if there is damage, I caused it. In the end, if there is a real problem with functionality, I could send it in for warranty service.

Thanks. I agree after looking at recently hunted scopes. I don't baby my equipment, but do like knowing if there is damage, I caused it. In the end, if there is a real problem with functionality, I could send it in for warranty service.
That's a bingo!

There's open box, blemished, refurbished, and lastly, damaged.
If you can return it, it's a big so-what, though I'll avoid the last two types.
Blemished on a Leupy is nothing to worry about. My VX7 (the model replaced by the VX6) and two Mark 4s were all 2nd hand. They are, and have always been, rock solid.

I have bought four "blemished" Leupold VX-6's from Natchez and I couldn't find a mark, scrape, scuff, or defect in the anodizing anywhere. They all looked new and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.