Any experience with OptiCo scopes?

MtPockets

Hi All
I've been looking at purchasing a new scope and ran across this brand.
They advertise as being a Montana company, but no mention of where the scopes and/or the components are actually made.
The warranty isn't as good as others- 5 year replacement/lifetime "50% Replacement", but if they are that good maybe that isn't an issue?
I haven't seen this brand mentioned before and just wondered if anyone had any experience?

Ron

I forgot to include a link on the OP, but here it is-

OptiCo.us – Optics that make long range hunting affordable

I did talk to a gentleman who told me that they are made in China and they have mildot reticle but moa turrets.

Probably have to continue my search, just really curious if anyone had seen them before.

The price on their website wouldn't buy a set of good RINGS much less a scope lol. Stay away. I have seen those same scopes labeled as Leapers and about 30 other TACTICAL SOUNDING companies.
J
U
N
K

Those scopes look a lot like the BSA mil mil 4-14x44 FFP, Primary Arms 4-14x44, Falcon Menace,
and the Athlon Optics. All are probably from the same factory in China.
If you are going to go with that design, pick a company with a lifetime warranty.
I have three of the BSA scopes of that design. One on a 300 Weatherby, Savage 7 mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor, all of them work just fine...
They all track well, and the glass is as good as my SWFA SS 10x. A lot of us over on SnipersHide use them, and the reviews are more positive than negative..

Those scopes look a lot like the BSA mil mil 4-14x44 FFP, Primary Arms 4-14x44, Falcon Menace,
and the Athlon Optics. All are probably from the same factory in China.
If you are going to go with that design, pick a company with a lifetime warranty.
I have three of the BSA scopes of that design. One on a 300 Weatherby, Savage 7 mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor, all of them work just fine...
They all track well, and the glass is as good as my SWFA SS 10x. A lot of us over on SnipersHide use them, and the reviews are more positive than negative..
I tried to buy a Primary Arms and looked through it and I just couldn't do it. Of course I am a GLASS SNOB so take that with a grain of salt. My eyes aren't the best, I think guys with really good vision may be able to run stuff like that and live with it. I can BARELY put up with Viper PST glass.

That's why we need to actually look thru stuff before we buy. I can't imagine anyone being able to use any of that glass without getting a huge headache and possibly vomiting and yet I know some guys who love it so I realize that glass is a VERY SUBJECTIVE topic.

As cheap as those scopes are you could buy one and try it and if its terrible TO YOU, you could use it for a HAMMER and not be out too much lol.

I tried to buy a Primary Arms and looked through it and I just couldn't do it. Of course I am a GLASS SNOB so take that with a grain of salt. My eyes aren't the best, I think guys with really good vision may be able to run stuff like that and live with it. I can BARELY put up with Viper PST glass.

That's why we need to actually look thru stuff before we buy. I can't imagine anyone being able to use any of that glass without getting a huge headache and possibly vomiting and yet I know some guys who love it so I realize that glass is a VERY SUBJECTIVE topic.

As cheap as those scopes are you could buy one and try it and if its terrible TO YOU, you could use it for a HAMMER and not be out too much lol.
I agree, I had a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP, it tracked well and was ok, but the reticle was canted slightly after about 100 rounds of 300 Weatherby. It was fine on my 30-06 for a long time.
I sent it in and got it fixed, but sold it when it returned.. The BSAs are the best deal going for that particular scope in my opinion. Lifetime warranty and a good reticle.
I contacted BSA before mounting one to my 300 Weatherby, they told me, they didn't care if I mounted it to a 50 cal. it will work, and if it doesn't send it back and we'll get it fixed or give you a new one..

For the record, you won't find this scope in BSAs line up, it's sold exclusively thru Midway..

I agree, I had a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP, it tracked well and was ok, but the reticle was canted slightly after about 100 rounds of 300 Weatherby. It was fine on my 30-06 for a long time.
I sent it in and got it fixed, but sold it when it returned.. The BSAs are the best deal going for that particular scope in my opinion. Lifetime warranty and a good reticle.
I contacted BSA before mounting one to my 300 Weatherby, they told me, they didn't care if I mounted it to a 50 cal. it will work, and if it doesn't send it back and we'll get it fixed or give you a new one..

For the record, you won't find this scope in BSAs line up, it's sold exclusively thru Midway..

I will have to pick up and look thru one of those BSAs just for fun. I'm all about VALUE, I just see the name BSA and walk. What model are you using? I am starting to shoot more steel than critters and a cheap scope would let me build more guns. You don't need an insane amount of optical quality to make steel go PING.

I will have to pick up and look thru one of those BSAs just for fun. I'm all about VALUE, I just see the name BSA and walk. What model are you using? I am starting to shoot more steel than critters and a cheap scope would let me build more guns. You don't need an insane amount of optical quality to make steel go PING.
BSA Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus First Focal
I usually buy the 4-14x44 version of this scope. It's priced at $399.00 but mid way put it on sale for $250.00 very often. I wouldn't pay full price but for $250 it's a steal....
But I stumbled on this clearance for the 6-24 version so I just bought one.. If this is as good as the 4-14 it's a steal!!!

Congrats Todd, I cannot afford to be an optics snob.:D

I agree, buy one of these with a warranty. I have had one of the Falcon Menace scopes for probably about as long as they've been around without a hitch. However, if it goes down I'm probably screwed. With as many scope problems as I've had over the past 10-15 years my way of thinking is that's it's only a matter of time. They are all mechanical and man made so prone to failure, that BSA warranty is at least a good piece of mind that you didn't just throw money away.

I agree Bravo 4,
I have too many rifles to scope them out with expensive Optics.
I find what works and use it... I have one Vortex Viper PST, that's the highest price optic I have.. (My wife thinks it cost $300.):D
I'm able to put Optics on all of my rifles, that I'm pretty confident that will track and and good enough glass...

Thanks for all the responses! I'm still pretty green at this, especially when you start throwing in mil vs moa, ffp vs sfp, etc. I've been doing some reading on the subjects but still pretty confused.
I think these scopes are mil dot, but the turrets are in moa. Wouldn't that be incredibly confusing, especially for a guy with the IQ of a turnip?
It seems to me that moa would be way easier to convert to inches at different ranges, does anyone make a reasonably inexpensive scope with an moa reticle with moa turrets?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Ron

Congrats Todd, I cannot afford to be an optics snob.:D

I agree, buy one of these with a warranty. I have had one of the Falcon Menace scopes for probably about as long as they've been around without a hitch. However, if it goes down I'm probably screwed. With as many scope problems as I've had over the past 10-15 years my way of thinking is that's it's only a matter of time. They are all mechanical and man made so prone to failure, that BSA warranty is at least a good piece of mind that you didn't just throw money away.

Honestly me either. That's why I don't have a lot of guns just a few that work real well. Used to have safe filling issues and then I realized I can only shoot 1 at once so I made sure the 1 I shoot is a bad boy.

Also I buy all of my scopes second hand and then resell when NF raises their prices. I can usually keep one 3-9 months and get out even. You never get out even on cheaper glasss. I save all my $$$ by buying Savages. I don't have a gun I have over $900 in.

Also I buy all of my scopes second hand and then resell when NF raises their prices.

That sounds like a great way to save some money, especially since the higher end scopes also have good warranties if something is wrong with a purchase.
Do you buy them mostly face to face, or online? I don't see many deals on used scopes where I'm at, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
I try to watch for stuff on here, but so far I've always been a day late and/or a dollar short.

That sounds like a great way to save some money, especially since the higher end scopes also have good warranties if something is wrong with a purchase.
Do you buy them mostly face to face, or online? I don't see many deals on used scopes where I'm at, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
I try to watch for stuff on here, but so far I've always been a day late and/or a dollar short.

Mainly on here, Ebay and some face to face. A lot of guys wanted FFP and were selling SFP cheap and then those dried up and price went back up. High end glass has good resale compared to most stuff. I figure if I do lose a couple hundred on a NF that I used for 6 months I'm still in better shape than losing $200 on a cheap scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.