Excellent instruction and location for ELR

mmaher

Hello all. I am 2 hours post a private course with Shawn Carlock, hanging out at the hotel discussing a 2255 yard shot I made this afternoon with my girlfriend. Two days ago, the farthest shot I had ever made in NC was 350 yards.

Bringing to the table some solid hunting experience and weapons manipulation from previous SWAT experiance...I had some background, but wanted to learn the craft of really dialing in the scope and knowing I could make dependable shots out to 1,000 yards.

I would like to say that I come to this blog with little to no experience in the LRH realm. I had purchased a used Remmy 300 win mag last year and topped it with a NF 5.5X22x50 NXS and carried it around NC like it was a boat anchor. I had read every blog and article online, becoming quite the internet savant...beginning reloading and seeing what others were doing in LRH, taking in the advice, some good....some bad....trying to weed out the posers from the experienced. I had reached the point of needing to stop reading, and begin doing. So the adventure started, looking for an instructor. And there are plenty of them out there. (rolls eyes).

Among my research, I stumbled across the LRH forum, and began to see some chat about Shawn. I investigated further, and he seemed to be cut from the same cloth as I, being very to the point, and knowledgeable about the craft. I was lucky enough for my girlfriend to arrange a class over a few days where we could drive to the left coast and do some shooting.

So... after two days of early mornings, a lot of recoil, many empty 300 Winny brass and a few LRKM .338 edge brass....I was shooting over a mile. After day one...1100, 1400, 1700 yards.... no problem. We were blessed with great shooting weather, and the fact that Shawn is a no BS instructor, with a wealth of knowledge...I leave Idaho tomorrow with a very solid feeling of accomplishment and ability.

To watch my girlfriend, who just started shooting a rifle last year....be able to call dope, and actually engage targets accurately and repeatedly at 1700 yards is a testament to Shawn's ability.

Im glad to feel as I am "part of the club" and that 300 Winny has a purpose now, other than eye candy.

You came up in discussion, Shawn had nothing but good things to say about you. I look forward to meeting you one day on one of your hunts!

I also was able to get some shooting in with Shawn this past July. I did not have a gun set up for the shooting so I shot one of his. We, four of us, had an enjoyable trip and I learned alot. I was the newbie as the other 3 had been there before. Lots of fun and his dad was there also. Felt like good friends right off the bat and highly recommended.

Now am working on getting a setup so I can shoot like the big boys. :rolleyes:

Shawn, thank you again. It sure was fun shooting with you and your Dad, and Cloyd keeping us fed was great. Keep up the good work and shoot some animals this fall. New respect for the 260.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.