exbal question

flims

i've been running exbal in accordance with the Ruag 338lapua factory load through the Sako trg42. so far i've had some fair success, most corrections i have for elevation are within +/- 0.1 or 0.2 Mils at any distance. i did save my original sight in conditions. now i want to know if the top box in this screen, the one named "Use Field conditions' should be switched on or off.

Can someone explain this function exactly?i want to be able to enter the new atmospheric conditions without editing the original sight in conditions and thus the program would work the new correction based from my original sight in conditions.

secondly i had some problem with the trajectory validation issue. when i enter the number of Mils i dial in, in the field and the impact point, the new table doesn't match the value i have inputed. (i already checked the scope is moving the bullet exactly 0.1Mil per click so its not that)

for example, if the table says that at 900m i need 7Mils elevation, and i hit 0.5Mil low then i would expect that the new validated trajectory would show 7.5Mils for appropriate correction yet it doesnt give me such a value. Instead it said that my muzzle velocity is 2393 which is not possible. after i played with the muzzle velocity i found out that my proper muzzle velocity to have a 7.5mils drop is 2840. Am i doing something wrong or is the validation not working as it should?

are you shooting over a chronograph ? You need to verify speed at your altitude and temperature....

your BC for your bullet might be slightly lower than what is stated by manufacturer....

ie. Berger claimed .648 for 168 VLD when it is really about .643 which I believe they have now corrected.

You need to enter your elevation, current temp, humidity into it to get an accurate drop chart. let it figure standard pressure.

Last edited:
i chronoed the rifle on the day i saved my sight in conditions at 100m. Im entering Raw station pressure as was said by Shawn Carlock. all other data is inputed from my kestrel 4000.

what about the option Use Field Conditions in the 'save sight-in conditions'? should this be switched on or off?

with regard to the trajectory validation, i had better results by adjusting manually my velocity in small increments till everything was closer to real values.

i've been running exbal in accordance with the Ruag 338lapua factory load through the Sako trg42. so far i've had some fair success, most corrections i have for elevation are within +/- 0.1 or 0.2 Mils at any distance. i did save my original sight in conditions. now i want to know if the top box in this screen, the one named "Use Field conditions' should be switched on or off.

Can someone explain this function exactly?i want to be able to enter the new atmospheric conditions without editing the original sight in conditions and thus the program would work the new correction based from my original sight in conditions.

This will answer the first part:

Go to this link and then scroll down the Eaglet's second post.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.