Ever use Richard's microfit factory 2nd's stocks?

Thanks for posting the pictures of your stock. Do you mind giving the details on it?

Also, thank you for describing your experience with Richards.

I was rebuilding a circa 1963 Tradewinds Husqvarna Mauser action in 7mm Rem Mag. I put a bipod on the original stock which had a very slim forend and it broke off.

The Stock I purchased is a Custom Rollover style with a flat oval forearm, nice area for mounting a bipod. The wood is AA Claro Walnut with Rosewood accents. Wish I would have ordered the Ebony, just personal preference. I ordered the receiver inlet area 1/8" over (I think it was 1/8") so I could bed the rifle when I was done.

Because I have a not so common brand receiver I sent pictures of the receiver to make sure we were both talking about the same action. They were prompt answering emails and phone calls. I can't remember the two people I mainly dealt with but when I went beyond the knowledge level of the lady I started with she passed me on to one of the technicians and he seemed to know exactly what I had. When the stock arrived it was what I was expecting and the action fit fine. As someone said it is sold as a 90% stock meaning 90% of the work still needs to be done :D. I bet I put in a lot more time with sandpaper then they did with the milling machine but I expected that. Keep in mind I did this as a hobby and not as a money making venture.

Maybe there are better places to buy stocks from but my experience with microfit was very good.

Craig O.

I was rebuilding a circa 1963 Tradewinds Husqvarna Mauser action in 7mm Rem Mag. I put a bipod on the original stock which had a very slim forend and it broke off.

The Stock I purchased is a Custom Rollover style with a flat oval forearm, nice area for mounting a bipod. The wood is AA Claro Walnut with Rosewood accents. Wish I would have ordered the Ebony, just personal preference. I ordered the receiver inlet area 1/8" over (I think it was 1/8") so I could bed the rifle when I was done.

Because I have a not so common brand receiver I sent pictures of the receiver to make sure we were both talking about the same action. They were prompt answering emails and phone calls. I can't remember the two people I mainly dealt with but when I went beyond the knowledge level of the lady I started with she passed me on to one of the technicians and he seemed to know exactly what I had. When the stock arrived it was what I was expecting and the action fit fine. As someone said it is sold as a 90% stock meaning 90% of the work still needs to be done :D. I bet I put in a lot more time with sandpaper then they did with the milling machine but I expected that. Keep in mind I did this as a hobby and not as a money making venture.

Maybe there are better places to buy stocks from but my experience with microfit was very good.

Craig O.

Thanks for the info. Did you stain the wood or just use an oil finish? The first wood stock I messed with I used TruOil and it turned out better than I even thought it would. So that is my plan with this one also.

I should have ordered it a couple months ago because I wanted to work on it this winter. Hopefully it gets to me before the temps start warming back up because I won't want to be inside come spring!

Thanks for the info. Did you stain the wood or just use an oil finish? The first wood stock I messed with I used TruOil and it turned out better than I even thought it would. So that is my plan with this one also.

I should have ordered it a couple months ago because I wanted to work on it this winter. Hopefully it gets to me before the temps start warming back up because I won't want to be inside come spring!

I used Boiled Linseed Oil no color or stain added just the oil. TruOil is mostly Boiled Linseed Oil with something in it to help it dry quicker. I've also used TruOil before on other guns and had good results. What I like about both products is it is easy to repair blemishes, scratches and other things using the gun will bring.

Good luck with it I hope you have as good an experience with them as I did. Post pictures when your done.

"Linspeed" is the brand name of another stock finish similar to Tru-Oil. Are you guys not using a sealer and wet sanding to fill the pores before applying finish? Pro Custom stock finish is the 'good stuff'. Much thinner than Tru-Oil or Linspeed. Dries 'harder', too.

"Linspeed" is the brand name of another stock finish similar to Tru-Oil. Are you guys not using a sealer and wet sanding to fill the pores before applying finish? Pro Custom stock finish is the 'good stuff'. Much thinner than Tru-Oil or Linspeed. Dries 'harder', too.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not familiar with that product, haven't seen it here in the PNW.

I put on a thin layer of linseed and let it dry. Then sand and rub on a second coat without removing the sanding dust thus filling in the pores. I keep repeating that process until all the pores are filled in then apply a final coat. Stands up to wear well and is easy to touch up when needed. Biggest trick is very thin coats and let it dry thoroughly between coats. A slow process but a nice result. I bet the last part is why things like TrueOil and linspeed were developed.

Thanks

Just thought I would update this post. My Factory 2nd came in the mail last week. It was pretty much what I was expecting to receive. It had a couple small defects that I thought I could hide/work around easy enough.

Although it did have a couple medium sized defects also which I was unhappy with.

If the rifle stock only had the small defects I would have felt like I got a good deal and would have used the stock. However I am sending this one back and putting the money already spent towards a stock that is not a factory 2nd.

I do not feel that I was ever mislead in the sales process. I knew there was a chance I may not like the factory 2nd. It was half the price and I took the chance.

Now for my experience with their customer service. I read TONS of complaints online, which all made me nervous. They must have turned things around. Very good customer service. I think I called them 7-8 times through the ordering process and then calling again with my complaints about the defects in the factory 2nd. They answered the phone every time I called, yes a real person answered. The people that answered the phone were pleasant to speak to and had most of the answers to my questions. If they didn't know, they were able to find out by the next time I called. I never did try their email support so I cannot comment on that. Also they never did call me back with the answer to a question. However I'll reiterate that a person did answer the phone every time I called and they did in fact find the answer to my questions and recorded it in my "file". Maybe I was impatient with waiting for a call back, not sure.

The rifle stock took 9 weeks to get to me. Which does fall into their production estimates of 6-8 weeks (then assumed 1 week for shipping).

They gave me no fuss at all about returning this factory 2nd stock. Even though I am not keeping the item, I am pleased with the experience of buying from Richards. No complaints.

If I get the new stock in and I'm also not happy with that one, I'll try to remember to come back and update this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.