Ever offer handloads with a rifle sale?

I once got about 600 hand loads with a 25-06. I pulled every one of those and reloaded them to the specs I found. I just don't trust anyone else's work like I trust my own.
I wouldn't be hurt is someone did the same to any I sent with a gun. To me it is just extra brass, which is a plus nowadays!

Who put the .280 together?
Factory Savage Axis Overwatch in 280AI. Bought it new on the cheap from a buddy who won it at an NRA dinner raffle. Shoots good enough to keep but it's not threaded and my plan is to go all suppressed on my hunting rifles when my last two are out of ATF jail.

I guess i'm ignorant about such things as this? So there's legal ramifications to the seller of the ammo if something happens to the buyer? I would've thought it would've been, "use at your own risk" kind of a deal? So what if I sell you a knife & you cut your finger off or your wife's finger off, am I held responsible for that? I'm being entirely serious. And like I said, I guess i'm ignorant about such things, because to be completely honest, i've bought reloaded ammo from the guy I bought the gun from & shot it in my rifle as practice rounds. I guess I just trusted the guy.
You bring up valid points of ammo vs. a knife. However, today's litigious society tends to overemphasize ANYTHING to do with guns as the pinnacle of evil whereas the knife, not so much, but not off the radar, either.
We simply MUST protect ourselves as best we can and refrain from exposing ourselves to most anything that MIGHT come back to bite us in the backsides.
And while I have but ONE friend whose reloads I trust implicitly and vice versa, no one else retains that status.
Even to the point of giving them my recipe for accurate ammo in a given firearm.
Better to be safe than sorry as the saying goes.

I'm comfortable with my ability and it's a mild load but the rifle is chambered in 280AI and I can see can someone somehow jam one in a standard 280 and all kinds of bad things happening
FWIW - Standard 280 Rems will shoot in a 280 AI no problem. That's what many/most use to fireform brass before it was available commercially.

I've got a inexpensive rifle I'm going to post for sale on a local hunting forum and with it I'm going to include a box of factory ammo it shoots well but I also worked up a handload for it and I was think of including 20 rounds of it as well. Then I started thinking about liability and wondering should I just include the recipe in case somehow the buyer does something stupid and damages the rifle or worse themselves.

I was just curious if any folks here ever included handloads with a rifle sale or most share my concern and just provide the recipe?
I'd write it down on paper with the caveat "What I have developed, mild load use at your own risk " Just what I'd do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts