Ever offer handloads with a rifle sale?

I see no harm in giving the buyer the recipe for the load that shot well PROVIDED that it is within the range of most reloading references. If it is near the outer edge of that range I would withhold it until I had a better sense of the buyer. In that recipe I would specify the lot numbers for every component that you can determine that for.

I guess i'm ignorant about such things as this? So there's legal ramifications to the seller of the ammo if something happens to the buyer? I would've thought it would've been, "use at your own risk" kind of a deal? So what if I sell you a knife & you cut your finger off or your wife's finger off, am I held responsible for that? I'm being entirely serious. And like I said, I guess i'm ignorant about such things, because to be completely honest, i've bought reloaded ammo from the guy I bought the gun from & shot it in my rifle as practice rounds. I guess I just trusted the guy.
Cutting yourself with a knife is user error and not the fault of anyone but the person holding it but in this day and age I could even see a lawsuit based on someone cutting themselves with a faulty / broken knife you sold them. A loaded cartridge can cause all kind of bodily harm up to death due to the negligence of whoever loaded it, or whoever misused it ... and you won't be the one who gets to decide which side was responsible for the negligence.

If you knew and trusted the guy you bought ammo from that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I would never take ammo from someone I didn't know well and trust ... still probably wouldn't because I can just make my own and then everything is on me.

I have received reloaded ammo with a gun purchase.

Pull the bullets, dump the powder, use the cases, primers, reuse the bullets.

Selling/giving a stranger reloaded ammo is not worth the risk. Even if you did everything perfectly, it doesn't mean you wouldn't get blamed and have to "try" and prove you are not at fault. Lawyers are expensive.

I've got a inexpensive rifle I'm going to post for sale on a local hunting forum and with it I'm going to include a box of factory ammo it shoots well but I also worked up a handload for it and I was think of including 20 rounds of it as well. Then I started thinking about liability and wondering should I just include the recipe in case somehow the buyer does something stupid and damages the rifle or worse themselves.

I was just curious if any folks here ever included handloads with a rifle sale or most share my concern and just provide the recipe?
Smart move. Never take anything for granted with liability laws the way they are.

Not worth the liability.
Totally agree, not worth the liability. In our litigious society, I'd never include handloads with a weapon. I won't even make reloads for friends. About all, I'm willing to do is allow friends who do not load, use my presses using their own procured components. I will be there to help and coach them through the process. If they're getting into reloading, I'm more than happy to help them set their procured equipment up.

I have always given the buyer the option for the recipe for the best loads I worked up for the rifles I have worked up recipes for. if they take it then they take it, if not, none of my worry. I just disassemble the loads and reload to my current rifle or put the brass and projos up for sale. I have had people come back months later and ask for the recipe because they have had horrific problems with accuracy and making loads for a couple of the guns I have sold.

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.
No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a); 27 CFR 478.41]

I've got a inexpensive rifle I'm going to post for sale on a local hunting forum and with it I'm going to include a box of factory ammo it shoots well but I also worked up a handload for it and I was think of including 20 rounds of it as well. Then I started thinking about liability and wondering should I just include the recipe in case somehow the buyer does something stupid and damages the rifle or worse themselves.

I was just curious if any folks here ever included handloads with a rifle sale or most share my concern and just provide the recipe?
Who put the .280 together?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.