Energy Transfer or penetration.

J E Custom

This is a good example of choosing the right bullet for the game. It shows the difference in projectiles performance using the same weapon. It is a pistol but the results are similar to choosing a rifle bullet for best performance on specific game .

Depending on the game to be hunted, the right choice is very important for clean kills with few if any loses. If hunting tough thick skinned game, Penetration is more important in most cases. if the game is not so tough expansion and transfer of energy is probably more important. The point is pick the right bullet for the job.

This Video shows the difference and points out the attributes of both and the importance of choosing penetration for some uses and expansion and energy transfer in other situations.

Think about what you realy want and enjoy the Video.

J E CUSTOM

I thought This post would generate some interest because In my mind
this is a very important part of selecting the best combination of penetration and expansion. I don't have any ballistic jell to perform these types of test but I may have to buy some to do some testing on my own.

I am wanting to know how well the 250 FTX will perform in the same type of test. They seem to be more stable at longer distances and I think it would be a good comparison test.

J E CUSTOM

In my mind, a perfect bullet for the game hunted would be one that expanded to at least twice it's diameter, Retains over 50% of its original weight, and just barley exits the opposite side having used up 90+% of its potential energy.

To me exit holes are very important in the event the game makes you track it even if it is only a few yards. I just don't want a bullet leaving the game with half of its energy still available.

Pelt hunting would be the only exception as far as I am concerned.

J E CUSTOM

My bubble is fine as frogs hair! ..Have a short read for you...
Hydrostatic shock" expresses the idea
that organs can be damaged by the
pressure wave independently from
direct contact with the penetrating
projectile. If one interprets the "shock" in
"hydrostatic shock" to refer to
physiological effects rather than physical
wave characteristics, the question of
whether the pressure waves satisfy the
definition of "shock wave" is
unimportant. There is compelling
scientific evidence supporting the ability
of a ballistic pressure wave to create
tissue damage and incapacitation in
living targets.
Remote Pressure Wave Effects in the
Spine and Internal Organs
The brain is not the only organ subject
to remote pressure wave effects. In a
study of handgun injury, Sturtevant
found that pressure waves from a bullet
impact in the torso can reach the spine.
Moreover, a focusing effect from
concave surfaces can concentrate the
pressure wave on the spinal cord,
producing significant injury.
[15]
This is
consistent with other work showing
remote spinal cord injuries from ballistic
impacts.
[38][39

Last edited:
We all know that slight damage to tissue, temporary wound cavity, does happen but not enough of an effect to stop or kill. The only thing that counts is permanent wound cavity with will allow blood to flow out or YOU have placed the bullet in the CNS and it had enough ability to get there and disrupt that system.
Have you ever made a poor hit on a animal? I have with a 375 H&H which has a lot of energy but when you shoot them where it doesn't count they dont die or stop. If energy is something we could shoot an animal anywhere in the body and it would die or stop but this is simply not true.
Read the FBI report on stopping. Under penetration gets people killed. Shot placement is king and energy does not stop.
We understand that we get a lot of energy transfer from motor vehicle accidents and we end up with three impacts upon the body in one crash. We do see damage to internal organs from those impacts but these impacts cannot be compared to bullet wounds as they are very different.
Ballistic gelatin looks really cool when shot and I have shot it but it is only a medium to test bullets on a apples to apples test.

There many reasons/ways that Projectiles Kill. The right combination of energy transfer and penetration is the point of this post.

The wound channel is the destruction of all tissue, vessels and organs and is created by the projectile passing through the tissue Even the areas beyond this wound channels are affected by the shock wave produced by the projectile. Some call this area (Blood shot) Because tiny blood vessels have been shattered without the projectile coming in contact with then.(This is the hydro static shock part of the process)

Energy transfer is measured by knock down power and sometimes Large diameter bullets with less potential energy can transfer more energy than high velocity bullets of less diameter if the projectile does not expand.

Ballistic jell can give you an insight as to to how large the effective wound channel expands at the moment of impact. Like tissue, it will return to it's original shape but the damage is done. and include the destroyed tissue areas. I have seen game look like they swallowed a hand grenade at the moment of impact from this shock wave expansion.

Many times we can diagnose the performance of a projectile if we take the time to look as we clean/process the game, and then decide if there would be a better bullet choice based on our findings.

Everyone has there opinion on what performance they like and expect
and as long as they understand the cause and effect of a projectile striking certain targets/game they can choose the best combination for its use.

I'm glad everyone is at least talking about the difference in performance and what the effects are depending on it's use.
We can make a perfect shot but the Game will/may get away if the proper choice of projectiles are not chosen, The proper caliber, the proper weapon and shooter/hunter skills are not present.

Just My opinion based on failures and successes over a life time of hunting and shooting.

J E CUSTOM

Energy is nice, but IMO, overrated! I want to break as much stuff ( bone, organs, vessels) as possible. The deeper, farther a bullet travels thru an animal....the higher probability of damaging "stuff"! Having two holes, for more blood loss and better tracking, seems to be a plus! If that wasn't clear enough....give me penetration (exit wound) thru the vitals, evertime! memtb

Admittedly this shot was a little far back, but that looks like substantial energy transfer from the "temporary" wound channel. That exit hole is many, many times bigger than the diameter of the projectile even after it expanded. Hydrostatic shockwaves destroy tissue and lead to incapacitation. This deer dropped immediately even though the bullet it's selfself not pass thu the ideal kill zone.

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_170600.jpg
    IMG_20181027_170600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 229
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts