elk populatios

I grew up and hunted NWMT.Ive been to gardnier and seen the 20000+ elk too.NOT ANYMORE,the wolfs ate them.I shot have my 40+ elk in a roadless wilderness area.This place is the same its been for last 100 years,except has wolfs now.In 20 hunts during last 5 years Ive seen one cow.I shot bull after bull up there and never dented them.You would see 100's of elk on winter range and big groups of large bulls,not now.I never saw a bull or a muley buck this season on west side.I am a extremely hard hunter,but only got 30 days in this season.I kept hunting journals since I was 30 years old.I use to see a 350 bull every year.I also hunted ID panhandle,for 5-6 years.Id shoot a bull there too.Then the wolfs showed up.Funny how people that have never seen this have such a expert opinion.I saw how the wolf moved locally and still is.my friends left their hunting spots and moved to mine,now I feel forced to hunt east side just to find a elk opertunity.Its really sad.Everywhere Ive hunted last number off years has wolf tracks,NEVER DID BEFORE.The large packs have moved this year because no game.Ive been in wolf tracks last 6 times out,counting today

The unit I've been hunting since 2002 has always had good numbers until this year. This year's hunt was very frustrating, we found literally nothing for the elk to eat. The ground was barren where it always has had decent browse. This past summer was the driest in years. We could say the population declined when realistically they just moved. Lots of factors affect numbers, drought, too many cattle, encroachment, over hunting and other situations. Perhaps looking up game and fish official numbers for several years could give accurate info of decline or increases.

I don't believe the statement that wolves are the reason why elk population is down. Like any other habitat, if the population of a species drops drastically usually it's something else. A healthy habitat is a stable habitat.
I would first look at the management program.
BS . . . even fish and game state that the wolves are a major contributing factor.

I live in Idaho and we have elk everywhere. I have never seen as many elk as I did this last fall.

Elk numbers in eastern Idaho are pretty good but there are few wolves there. Get outside of that area and it's a different story.

I don't believe the statement that wolves are the reason why elk population is down. Like any other habitat, if the population of a species drops drastically usually it's something else. A healthy habitat is a stable habitat.
I would first look at the management program.

That makes no sense at all. Like any other habitat the change is usually not from wolves? The wolves are dictating the management program.

Guys like Mc Fraser don't have a clue.
I have lived and hunted in the ID Panhandle my intire life and we have always had elk and in fact I have seen Elk move into areas that there wasnt any when I was younger. The only time we had any sort of decline was the ice storm in 1996/97. It only took a few years for the population to bounce back.... Just in time for the Wolf population explosion.
For all you "non-believers" out there you really don't have a clue of how bad the wolves have destroyed our Elk, Moose and Mule Deer populations and it really sucks that my kids and others will never see Elk hunting like we did back then.

Guys like Mc Fraser don't have a clue.
I have lived and hunted in the ID Panhandle my intire life and we have always had elk and in fact I have seen Elk move into areas that there wasnt any when I was younger. The only time we had any sort of decline was the ice storm in 1996/97. It only took a few years for the population to bounce back.... Just in time for the Wolf population explosion.
For all you "non-believers" out there you really don't have a clue of how bad the wolves have destroyed our Elk, Moose and Mule Deer populations and it really sucks that my kids and others will never see Elk hunting like we did back then.

This is unfortunate to hear these stories. I have long thought of making an exedous from the ridiculous taxes and politics here in Oregon when my daughter is off on her own and have figured Idaho made sense and would be better hunting. I may have to reconsider location possibilities.

There are still a few places with decent Elk population but are getting fewer and farther between and are getting very over crowded with hunters for obvious reasons.
You better act soon or no matter ware you decide on as in most even remotely remote areas the wolf populations are only going to get bigger until all food sources are gone and they move on to the next.
Almost impossible to control their populations in even slightly remote areas if they are too far to travel or too difficult to run a trap line

I daw that yellow stone is looseing a lot of game because of the wolves.the other states are also having same problem..what are you as hunters out there seeing?
gary b
Here in Washington state we don't have a predator issue but we do have the hoof rot disease that is a contributor to our decline in the Elk population. A couple of years ago there was announcement that Washington State University in Pullman either received a grant or some other funding mechanism to begin investigation into the cause of this debilitating condition. There has been speculation it might be attributable to timber management and the use of herbicides. Wanted to pass along this link, "https://tdn.com/news/local/elk-hoof-rot-research-center-nears-completion-captive-study-planned-for-2020/article" For your information. I cannot find any current information on what any progress they are making on this subject. Does anyone have information to contribute?

This may be an unpopular insight but the explosion in popularity of archery hunting has led to a lot of unrecovered elk all across the west and I do feel it's having an impact.

This may be an unpopular insight but the explosion in popularity of archery hunting has led to a lot of unrecovered elk all across the west and I do feel it's having an impact.
You are correct, this is an unpopular view (not insight) and it is crap!
This is the kind of things that drive wedges between fellow hunters. We all need to support each other even if you do not take in a particular type of hunting be it bow or rifle, Bear baiting, wolf hunting, long range, short range you name it. If it is legal in what ever state you hunt then we need to stick together or we will lose it!
Not to mention I personally know of more animals being wounded and not recovered by firearms hunters than from bow. However, there is no way it has made any kind of impact on our herds!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.