ELK Bullet, How ya figure??

Dalebow

SO anyone asks about what bullet for Elk so many of us say 180 gr, 30 cal or even 190, 200 grain because a 150 gr TTSX is to light of a bullet..........so here is the question???

people use a 140 grain .284 caliber, 270 150 grain bullet, sometimes 140 grain, 140 grain 6.5 bullets, ect.........so why is a 300 win mag, 150 grain, tough bullet like a barnes or gmx always consider "too light" to this, to that. A 150 grain 30 cal TTSX is moving faster than a 270 150 cal, is bigger, so whats wrong with it??

Most of those opinions stem from one of two things.
Sectional Density, is probably the biggest factor.
Is shoot at Elk at reasonable ranges with my 270WSM with a 140 Accubond, but I wouldn't even consider a bullet that light in my 300 WSM.
The other opinion is simply a way better choice in bullets for both S.D. & B.C. for cal than light bullets.

SO anyone asks about what bullet for Elk so many of us say 180 gr, 30 cal or even 190, 200 grain because a 150 gr TTSX is to light of a bullet..........so here is the question???

people use a 140 grain .284 caliber, 270 150 grain bullet, sometimes 140 grain, 140 grain 6.5 bullets, ect.........so why is a 300 win mag, 150 grain, tough bullet like a barnes or gmx always consider "too light" to this, to that. A 150 grain 30 cal TTSX is moving faster than a 270 150 cal, is bigger, so whats wrong with it??

Bullet diameter has a large effect on ballistic coefficient witch effects the long range performance.

Lighter bullets may limit the efective range and the ability to buck the wind of a cartrige.

Each cartrige will have an optimum bullet weight based on velocity,energy,ballistics,case volume
and barrel length.

If you compare the ballistics (Total performance)of any bullet weight in a given case you will find
that there is an optimum bullet weight for that cartrige. Example: the 270 win optimum bullet
weight for maximum performance is between 130 and 150 grains .

If you look at the big 300 magnums that optimum bullet weight will be normally 180 to 200 grains
for optimum distance,trajectory,BC, energy Etc.

The idea is to have the highest energy for the game at the maximum distance to be used for the
size and toughness of the game hunted and the conditions.

If you are using to light a bullet as well as to heavy of a bullet for a given cartrige you are not
utilizing the potential of the cartrige.

The 308 Win compared to the 30/378 is a good example. the optimum bullet weight for the 308
is much less than the 30/378 even though they are the same caliber (.308).

There are many reasons to pick a desired bullet weight for hunting or targets and it boils down to
what a person is willing to except for total performance.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.