How to transport Elk meat??

I usually let the skinned/gutted carcass hang overnight. I then bone out all the meat and drive to nearest dry ice vendor (in my case it's about 75 miles away) and pack a layer of meat then a layer of dry ice etc. I usually drive to my hunting sites (20 hour drive each way). By the time I get back to Indiana, the meat is nice and frozen. Works for me.

Kolob10, Hairtrigger,

I totally agree with your methods of conserving your game meat.

Depending on whether your hunting during the early August/September archery season or a late antlerless elk hunts usually held in December. Time and conditions are either against you or for you.

In any case "Our Methods" will result in quality flavorful game meat.

Happy hunting!

**Photo is of my Brother (l) and I (r). Nov 2012 at 11,550 ft on Mt. Baldy, Alpine Plateua near Gunnison, Colorado. I learned during this hunt that my brother had been diagnosis'd with prostrate cancer. He has since had surgery and is recovering well. Our hunt was successful in that we spent 3 weeks sharing past experiences and bounding as brother should.

SEMPER FIDELIS
Gonzo

Attachments

• Tony Bob.jpg
    Tony Bob.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 132
Don't assume an outfitter will take care of your game!

I hunted with Circle KBL Outfitters last fall, took an elk the first day of a week camp, and found they hadn't made plans for taking care of my kill. They had no provisions for getting the meat to a butcher or even a place for me to butcher it myself. You can bet they won't see any more of my money!

Don't assume an outfitter will take care of your game!

I hunted with Circle KBL Outfitters last fall, took an elk the first day of a week camp, and found they hadn't made plans for taking care of my kill. They had no provisions for getting the meat to a butcher or even a place for me to butcher it myself. You can bet they won't see any more of my money!

Although you did get an elk the first day...a lot better than some outfitters! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.