Eldm preferred jump.

Trangieboy

Anyone noticed a preferred jump that the eldm's prefer ?
A mate is having trouble getting the 225gn eldm to shoot in his new 300wm.
Thanks, Mal

I just went through this with my Dad's Remington 700 SPS Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag with 162gr ELDs. We started with finding the velocity node with the powder then worked on seating depth. We tried 0.005, 0.010, 0.015, and 0.020 off the lands and all the groups were at best 1" but didn't have any sort of pattern to them. I told him to seat some 0.030 off and 0.040 off. I went and tested them, and it shot 0.030 off into a very nice, centered, triangulated group that measured 5/8" at 100 yards. Not bad for a completely factory rifle with just a little bedding in the stock. This was a relief, after a lot of testing and head scratching. Every other rifle I have shot ELDs in liked them 0.005-0.020 off the rifling, and that was what everybody else seem to find works for them. I guess it really pays to try things outside of the norm you're use to.

Another .010 - .020" here. Don't think I have ever had to go beyond .020" with the eldm's. Berger can be another story.

Very interested as well as I'm planning to load up some 225s in my savage 300wm. They are hbn coated. Supposedly that can make bullets less sensitive to seating depth but we shall see. I'm glad to hear all of you suggesting / observing a wee bit of jump as optimal. I never did like jamming the lands

So far .020 is working in my 338 Rum with 285 Eldm's. 5 shot group @ 100 yrds
20190809_075624.jpg

Rum Man

Thanks, Mal
I use .20

Thanks, Mal

I use the .020 but I use the 208 grain and am getting .3/8" group. Been using it for years got same results from their 208 Amax bullets too. Only switched because of the deformation and b.c. concerns the company was having.

I'm still developing a load I built mine on 212Grn ELDM in my custom.300
Starting seating at 0.020 good group , my gunsmith recommended starting at 0.030 and up to 0.050 off I'm going to load up in the morning
In my CZ same projectiles seated at 0.035

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.