ELD-M for hunting

Yes sir, I too have put the 285gr ELDs on target at various distances. A couple of months ago I put a string of first shot hits on steel together at 450, 650, 800, 900, 1000, 1200, 1350, 1760.
I have a 1.08" group @ 300 yrds but have not shot for group past that yet. I like that 4" group @ 833! Would you share your recipe?

I shoot 102gr Re33. Best work up carefully, this works in my gun but could blow yours up, they are individuals.

I shoot 102gr Re33. Best work up carefully, this works in my gun but could blow yours up, they are individuals.
I see what you mean. I haven't tried Re33 yet, probably won't. I don't need to send them at those speeds. I'm happy at the 3000fps mark.

So I got to try these out of my 6.5 creed this year and all three big Michigan whitails I've shot have been bang flops. All closer range with huge expansion. So they worked well and should be really good at expanding at longer ranges.

I have used the 140 ELD-M out of my 6.5 Creedmoor on two cow elk this year with a high rate of success. First one was at 583, shot right behind the shoulder. She walked about 20 yards and tipped over. Bullet went through both lungs and was recovered in the offside right underneath the hide. The recovered bullet weighed in at 119 grains. Second one I loaned my rifle to a hunting companion and he shot his at 609. I made a crappy wind call and the bullet hit about 6-8 inches back from where he was holding. The cow only walked about 40 yards and layed down. We were able to get about 200 yards closer after she layed down and put one into the vitals. His family is skinning the elk today, I am interested to see if they find the bullets.

Anyone used the 123gr or 130gr ELD-M. Just switched from 123gr Scenars to 123gr ELD-Ms for my short 6.5x47.

Have not but I was able to take a big scimitar oryx with the 147 eld m out of my creed. 153 yards. No exits any any of he shots. First shot was a bit back from the shoulder crease and second one put it down. Third was just for fun and went through the shoulder and ended between shoulder and hid on opposite side with a great deal of mass left. Was gonna change because no exit but it seemed to hold together very well with a high amount of damage inside.

My GF took a mature buck at 330yds with my short 6.5x47 with 123s at 2840fps. Spined him. Penetrated the spinal cord then shed almost everything. I found the bottom of the boat tail of the jacket on the exiting hide. Phone was dying at the time so i couldn't get a solid pic of the meat once i had skinned him.
26841369_10210859080814814_7936843881032340529_o.jpg

IMG_2297.JPG

I am primarily an elk hunter, although I have killed quite a few mule deer as well. Over the years I have killed numerous elk with several calibers including 300 win mag, 7mm STW, 7mm 300WM, 338's, and 4 or 5 with muzzle loaders.
Several months ago my son built me a 6.5 Creedmoor for my birthday. At the time the weather was lousy and wet preventing me from immediately working up some loads. It also was when brass was scarce so I ended up buying some Hornady 140 A Max ammo, as that was all you could find, with the intention of using the brass to reload. When I was finally able to shoot the rifle I was quite impressed with the accuracy of the factory ammo. I generally shoot 3 shot groups when working up loads and the rifle was shooting groups between .3 and .8 inches. Shortly after that Hornady came out with the 143 ELD-x bullet, and it shot as well if not a little better with H4350 powder than the 140 A Max's out to 800 yards. Then Hornady introduced the 147 ELD-m, and of course I had to try them. All I can say is "WOW". Since changing to the 147's and R26 the rifle has shot 100 yard groups of .088, .115, .119, and several in the .2's. At 200 yards the rifle shot a .094 3 shot group.
Because of the accuracy of this rifle and load I had to take it elk hunting. I was a little hesitant using the 147 ELD-m, but I had previously killed several elk with Hornady A Max's in some of the previously mentioned rifles. Many have said the A-max's were not suitable for elk. That has not been my past experience as they have performed well for me. I initially was going to hunt with the 143 ELD-x's but my son had a less than positive experience on two elk with his 300 WSM having to shoot both a second time.
With proper bullet placement the 147 m's will kill an elk effectively. I shot a cow standing broadside at 398 yards with the bullet hitting a couple of inches back of the shoulder crease in the lungs. She was DRT. That has only happened a couple of other times and with much bigger calibers.

I was thinking of avoiding the ELDx as I've heard and seen photos of too much meat damage for my liking. Using the M's I figured they would hold together a bit better. If the M's are at true replacement of the A-Maxs, then that wouldn't be a valid conclusion.

I don't think they will hold together BETTER but are very effective as "chirodr1" has posted. I shot a white tail at around 150 yards quartering away. The bullet traveled a measured 26" and did massive damage! Part of the core exited the brisket and blew a hole through the upper leg. The cup was stuck under the hide. The bullet entered behind the last rib and traveled all that distance!

Recent Posts