ELD-M for hunting

If you look at the cut aways, the X definitely had a mich thicker jacket, and an interlock ring. I can't see the M holding together better than the X, but that doesn't mean it won't be effective on game.

Yup though from most people's results and what little i've found and my own results thus far on medium game it's fine. Seems to make a quality hunting round. I wanted to get a high shoulder shot on a deer before the season ended but didn't see anything Friday and wont be back home for another 3 weeks or so.
26165356_1949313331985798_1137925255301877786_n.jpg

Yup though from most people's results and what little i've found and my own results thus far on medium game it's fine. Seems to make a quality hunting round. I wanted to get a high shoulder shot on a deer before the season ended but didn't see anything Friday and wont be back home for another 3 weeks or so.
26165356_1949313331985798_1137925255301877786_n.jpg
Wow! You can definitely tell where the weight difference is.

I expected to see a little more hollow point behind the tip on the X. I'm not sure why I expected that. The X looks like the jacket is not of similar thickness. Maybe it's the photo?

I expected to see a little more hollow point behind the tip on the X. I'm not sure why I expected that. The X looks like the jacket is not of similar thickness. Maybe it's the photo?

Because a hunting bullet needs to expand, but also retain wait for penetration purposes. The whole idea behind Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, and ELD-X type bullets is that the first 1/4 of the bullet has rapid, massive expansion that will typically disintegrate. The next 1/4 portion will be more of the "controlled" expansion, while the last half of the bullet generally remains intact to retain energy for penetration purposes. It's easier for the bullet to retain weight when the jacket on the latter half of the bullet is a lot thicker. With the ELD-M having the thinner jacket on the latter half of the bullet, I'd imagine you'd get a lot more overall "violence" expansion, but less weight retention. IMO, either bullet would be more than sufficient enough to take any game animal in the U.S.

Here's what's left of an 80 grain from a 22-250AI recovered from a 150 pound hog. It was shot at 220 yards with a mv of 3100 fps.
I've shot a few deer and hogs with this round and the old 75 grain amax. All DRT but to be fair they were small deer and hogs at 150ish or less. It's explosive and rarely exits but a lot of fun to shoot. It's also pure nasty on head shots. Blew the top off of a fallow but i don't really think I should show that picture.

She shoots .3moa out to 600 yards but I limit killing to about 250-300 as it's really just a fun gun for the lease and range. Little to no recoil and very quiet with the Thunderbeast up front.

I'll start development on a 6.5x284 soon and will test both the 143 and 147.
eldm80.jpg

Has anyone worked up a load in there 6.5x284 with the 143 eldx and 147 eldm? I'm down to my last 100 of 140 vlds. And I'm thinking about trying the 143, 147. Any advice on loads. My rifle is a Cooper Phoenix 1-8 twist 26" barrel

Has anyone worked up a load in there 6.5x284 with the 143 eldx and 147 eldm? I'm down to my last 100 of 140 vlds. And I'm thinking about trying the 143, 147. Any advice on loads. My rifle is a Cooper Phoenix 1-8 twist 26" barrel

I use the exact same load on my 6.5 cm for either bullets with almost same accuracy. You might want to start from there and see if you need to back up a little or not.

I u
used both in my .260 AI, a little less capacity, and my loads with the 147 ended up (max) around 49.5 of H-4831sc and 50.5 grains of RELODER 26, with H4831 at 2950 fps and RL 26 at 3100 fps. If you start around there, you should be good in a 6.5x284. I found that my nodes were nearly the same charge and slightly higher velocity than my best node for the 140 vld.

I u

used both in my .260 AI, a little less capacity, and my loads with the 147 ended up (max) around 49.5 of H-4831sc and 50.5 grains of RELODER 26, with H4831 at 2950 fps and RL 26 at 3100 fps. If you start around there, you should be good in a 6.5x284. I found that my nodes were nearly the same charge and slightly higher velocity than my best node for the 140 vld.
Yeah my 140 vld load is 55.5 gr of retumbo shoot amazing but would like to try Somthing a little different . Would you recommend the 147 over the 143 for some closer shots on deer, bear and sometimes elk. But for then most part it would be 300-800yards

I really hope the inconsistent jacket thickness is only a optical illusion or a result of the angle of the grind.
I hope 5RWill will clarify.

I really hope the inconsistent jacket thickness is only a optical illusion or a result of the angle of the grind.
I hope 5RWill will clarify.

It looks to me like the X was intentionally designed with a thickening jacket around the interlock ring and base . It makes sense to me that the thinner jacket up front opens rapidly and the thicker portion is to assist in controlled expansion and to hold the base of the bullet together to ensure adequate penetration.