Ejection Problem

cdmorten

I'm running into an issue on my 300 WM Sendero. After about 5-6 shots, I'm having trouble getting the bolt open. I have to jerk it a fair amount. Any thoughts on what's going on??

Hi Corbett,
whithout knowing any more about your rifle then what you said,these are my thoughts...
I worked on a couple of Remingtons that after I cleaned the barrel for two days and then shot near max loads. in the first three or four shots there showed no signes of pressure and extracted beautifully but after shooting three more rounds, pressure signs started to show up and extracting became difficult.I believe that the barrel was so rough that it would scrape so much copper off the bullets that by the sixth bullet there would be so much copper build up in the barrel causing restriction that would be resulting in dangerously high pressure.this is just a possibility as I have not seen your gun or know it's history.
308Nate
cool.gif

Here is a bit more info on the problem. I'm just shooting Black Hills match grade 190's so I don't think I'm shooting anything too hot.

Assuming my barrel is rough, then what? Is that something I can fix on my own or is that a trip to the gunsmith?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Hi,
first thing I would do is get a good copper solvent and clean that barrel out as good as you can.It can be a very time consuming job but get it all out.Also barrel break in is VERY important.for when the chamber reamer cuts the throat of the chamber it leaves spiral machine marks that don't run paralell with the rifling.that will shave off excess copper until the machine markes are smoothed out.This is why it very important to shoot and clean,shoot and clean for the first 25 rounds in a factory barrel.In custom barrels you usually only need to shoot and clean 10 times or so.Also I like to take some JB bore paste and polish the throat of a new rifle before I shoot it.As far as taking it to a gunsmith a lot of gunsmiths don't charge to diagnose a problem and they can do so better when inspecting the rifle
smile.gif

good luck,
308Nate

Corbett,

A few Questions for you -

1) DO you have access to a chronograph?

2) Does the initial bolt lift feel difficult?

3) When the bolt handle hits the extraction cam at the top of the lift, is it hard to lift at that point and also to pull back the bolt?

4) How fast are you firing these loads, is the barrel cooling back down between shots?

5) Did you clean the barrel and chamber before you ever fired it?

6) Have you attempted to break it in yet, or have you just been seeing how it shoots with those 40 rounds?

Brent,

Here are your answers,

1. No access to chronograph. I've been shooting Black Hills and Federal Match grade. 190's at 2900 I believe.

2. The intitial bolt lift feels normal.

3. When I hit the extraction cam, it gets a bit difficult and then to pull the bolt back is very difficult. Again, the first 4-6 rounds of the day are fine. I will also have a couple of rounds later that might extract easily.

4.I'm probably shooting a shot every 1 -2 minutes.

5. I did clean the barrel, not the chamber before I fired it. What do you clean the chamber with?

6. I didn't break it in. Just 20 shots, then clean and 20 more then clean. Is it too late to break the barrel in?

One last piece of info. I was just messing with it and the spent cartridges are hard to chamber and extract. A hot cartridge goes in and out with no problem...very slick. To my naked eye, the chamber and barrel look clean.

Thanks for the help.

Not to late to breakin. Shoot 1 and clean with a good copper cleaner like sweets. I also use JB bore paste to clean the barrel. I think the JB helps to smooth out the rough marks a little faster than just copper cleaner and bullets. Do this till the cleaning process becomes very easy. I have done this on many guns, old and new, with no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.