A-Bolt WSM ejection issues?

therifleman556

Ran into an issue tonight. I was trying to work the bolt quickly on my 270 WSM A-BOLT and when I ran the bolt forward it picked up the fresh cartridge but stopped on the empty that failed to clear the ejection port (did I just stovepipe a bolt action :confused:?)

I noticed that when I work the bolt quickly the empty brass seems to bounce of the back of the ejection port and barely clear the receiver. If I withdraw it a bit more moderately, they flip out, but don't seem to go more than a foot or so.

Do I just need a new ejector spring, or are there other forces at work here?

kinda a know problem with some WSMs. If you have a tall windage turret that sets low on the rifle. The empty cartridge may be bouncing off of it and back into the chamber. Do you have some small marks on the windage turret? Might be caused by the brass.

Sounds like your port is not long enough for it. That is, the FRONT(nearest chamber) edge, is not allowing fast enough clearing.

Given the case diameter, it's proximity to the rear of port is close, and can be too close to allow ejection without interference. With this, the case needs to be ejected BEFORE REACHING that problem condition. But it can't be ejected sooner if the port is not clear early enough to allow it.

Also, why would you want ejection to throw cases a longer distance?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.