weatherby .300 win mag ejection problem

Big Jakes

I have recently got a weatherby vanguard series 2 with a wood stock chambered in .300 win mag with a que industries muzzle brake. I was shooting it for the second time using winchester power max and accubond ammo. The rifle shot great 1.5 groups at 200 yards. upon cleaning the rifle I noticed that the empty brass had been hitting the stock leaving a mark. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem.

I have recently got a weatherby vanguard series 2 with a wood stock chambered in .300 win mag with a que industries muzzle brake. I was shooting it for the second time using winchester power max and accubond ammo. The rifle shot great 1.5 groups at 200 yards. upon cleaning the rifle I noticed that the empty brass had been hitting the stock leaving a mark. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem.

It should not strike the stock.

Chances are that it is hitting the scope base or the scope turret causing it to glance off and
hit the stock.

This is common with low bases and target knobs.

Check the bottom of the turret and/or the scope rail base for signs of the brass striking them.

J E CUSTOM

I looked at the scope and base and no noticeable damage. Other than the stock being damaged do you think it could be damaging the bolt? I might be able to live with it just being the stock.

I looked at the scope and base and no noticeable damage. Other than the stock being damaged do you think it could be damaging the bolt? I might be able to live with it just being the stock.

The brass strikes normally don't damage anything, just mark it.

It is not to uncommon on gas guns that are out of time or have the wrong port pressure
but on bolt actions it is rare.

If an extractor or an ejector are installed wrong (Location)it can happen.

It will not hurt anything but it is annoying and can be cured with some investigation.

As for stock damage, place a small piece of mole skin (Doctor Scholls) over the area
until you find out what the problem is.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.