Educate Me - 6.5 SAUM

Xtremetj

Some of you have probably seen my other posts. I'm new to the long range hunting, been a long time archer. I'm looking for a long range gun for antelope and deer hunting and have been wanting a 6.5x284. I just haven't found what I'm looking for and stumbled on to this. I found a used gun I'd like some input on.

See specs below.

6.5 SAUM, 26 inch fluted, Bartlien barrel with a 1.85 twist. It has a heavy sporter contour barrel. The reamer used was the 6.5 GAP 4S with a .296 neck. He says it's known as the no turn neck.

What does all this mean? Should I run since I don't understand it and am not set up for reloading? Would this be good for hunting deer and antelope out to 600-800 yards like the 6.5x284?

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

Last edited:
6.5x284 and 6.5saum are both known barrel burners. So if you plan to shoot the rifle often, I would not recommend either cartridge.

Also, antelope are not particularly tough to kill. So consider the 260rem or 243win. Here's a good antelope set up....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

??? This is simply untrue. The 6.5 SAUM is not a "known barrel burner." In fact, it is quite the opposite with many shooters reporting excellent accuracy despite being past the 2k mark on the same barrel. One of major points of development of the 6.5 SAUM was barrel life.

??? This is simply untrue. The 6.5 SAUM is not a "known barrel burner." In fact, it is quite the opposite with many shooters reporting excellent accuracy despite being past the 2k mark on the same barrel. One of major points of development of the 6.5 SAUM was barrel life.

hmmm....Both have similar case capacity (~60grains). Given that all that powder is going down the same size bore, it seems to follow that both are barrel burners. Of course, if you don't shoot continuous strings of 5+ shots, you can make any barrel last beyond it's 'expected' life. But it sounds like the OP wants to shoot the rifle quite a bit. As a result, I would recommend something with less powder capacity and consequently more barrel life.

I agree ... How can it not be tough on barrels...that's a lot of fuel to be burnt in a .264 tube... You'd be lucky to not see wear and tear at 500 rounds...now if I your planning on ten shots a year hunting rifle go for it BUT it's not 40-80 shells per week bench sitter ! Stay with something standard that has stood the test of time, 150 fps is not worth all the headaches it'all cause you, finding cases 10 years from now ?? Who knows !!

I'm getting 3080 fps out of a 25 inch tube with. 61 H1000 and 140 bergers. 8twist
It is an excellent long range round with low extreme spreads.
You can push much higher velocities but brass life will suffer, I've got some Remington cases on their 6th firing and pockets are still good

Your going to have to learn to reload for that round but if you want to shoot long range you'll need to learn anyway. The hornady brass that they made for that round is sold out right now and the next batch is 3-4 months out. I believe it is for the no neck turn reamer but you'd have to confirm that for yourself.

The only thing I'd rather see on the rifle your looking at is the tighter neck reamer used for neck turning.

As far as barrel life goes guys are reporting getting around the 2k mark without setting it back yet. I've not shot that many yet to see for myself but there are some very credible people reporting similar results.
The brass is not hot to touch after firing so I'm sure that has something to do with barrel life.

In the end it's just a barrel and if you really get into one range shooting you'll need to replace them anyway.

hmmm....Both have similar case capacity (~60grains). Given that all that powder is going down the same size bore, it seems to follow that both are barrel burners. Of course, if you don't shoot continuous strings of 5+ shots, you can make any barrel last beyond it's 'expected' life. But it sounds like the OP wants to shoot the rifle quite a bit. As a result, I would recommend something with less powder capacity and consequently more barrel life.

Low chamber pressures are a major key to barrel longevity. If the 6.5 SAUM wasn't getting the barrel life GAP claims it would be all over the net. In addition, why would GAP claim 2500 rounds? I have a GAP 6.5 SAUM and it's every inch of what George and many others claim it to be.

"Great barrel life (2500+ rds)"
Xtreme Hunter

http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=264723

http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=185807

The first report I saw about barrel life from GAP on this they got about 3000 rounds. But they set back the barrel in the middle somewhere. That's almost as good as a new barrel. Nice fresh throat goes a long ways. Most people looked right over the set back. If you're willing to keep setting back and have the barrel shank to do it you can run a barrel for a LONG time regardless of the cartridge. Your definition of a worn out barrel may be different than someone else's.

Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.