Ease my mind leupold Mark 6 purchase

Alright, I just sat out back with a 3-15x44 vx-5hd and a 3-15x42 conquest hd until dark looking at antlers and my glendel buck. We have a vx-6hd we've been comparing but my brother claimed it and I didn't have it for this test although the glass and obj size is identical to the vx-5hd for comparison purposes. What I found is either scope will allow you to shoot well passed legal light. Here are the differences my eyes noticed-
First the Leupold- Clarity and color separation seemed to have a leg up on the zeiss, especially when looking at smaller objects. Whites and lighter colors are brighter and defined around the edges more than the Zeiss. I could count antler tines into dark with both but could do it with less strain with the leupold.
Now the Zeiss- Although the lighter colors and smaller objects weren't as sharp it was easier to make out the overall outline of the deer target against the backdrop at dark than it was with the leupold. The zeiss image seems a bit more tunneled, maybe the difference in tube size at play there.

Turret wise both have nice systems in theyre own rights (both have locking target turrets with zero stops). The zeiss has more defined clicks but the leupold does not feel loose or mushy like some have before, compared to some others I'm sure that could be of opinion but I wouldn't call it subpar by any means.

I'm no optics expert and these tests were done at shorter range but wanted to give my opinion to anyone still debating the new leupolds. I didn't have anything else equivelant to compare against today and honestly, I wanted the zeiss to be better but I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with the leupold. If I factor all theyre pros and cons and had to choose one for my purpose I would lean towards the leupold. The florida deer that rifle will be hunting have pretty small antlers and with our new antler restrictions in different areas counting tines on a less than 100" rack has become pretty important, especially when my kids are counting on me to field judge and give them the nod to shoot or not..

Happy Hunting!

Alright, I just sat out back with a 3-15x44 vx-5hd and a 3-15x42 conquest hd until dark looking at antlers and my glendel buck. We have a vx-6hd we've been comparing but my brother claimed it and I didn't have it for this test although the glass and obj size is identical to the vx-5hd for comparison purposes. What I found is either scope will allow you to shoot well passed legal light. Here are the differences my eyes noticed-
First the Leupold- Clarity and color separation seemed to have a leg up on the zeiss, especially when looking at smaller objects. Whites and lighter colors are brighter and defined around the edges more than the Zeiss. I could count antler tines into dark with both but could do it with less strain with the leupold.
Now the Zeiss- Although the lighter colors and smaller objects weren't as sharp it was easier to make out the overall outline of the deer target against the backdrop at dark than it was with the leupold. The zeiss image seems a bit more tunneled, maybe the difference in tube size at play there.

Turret wise both have nice systems in theyre own rights (both have locking target turrets with zero stops). The zeiss has more defined clicks but the leupold does not feel loose or mushy like some have before, compared to some others I'm sure that could be of opinion but I wouldn't call it subpar by any means.

I'm no optics expert and these tests were done at shorter range but wanted to give my opinion to anyone still debating the new leupolds. I didn't have anything else equivelant to compare against today and honestly, I wanted the zeiss to be better but I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with the leupold. If I factor all theyre pros and cons and had to choose one for my purpose I would lean towards the leupold. The florida deer that rifle will be hunting have pretty small antlers and with our new antler restrictions in different areas counting tines on a less than 100" rack has become pretty important, especially when my kids are counting on me to field judge and give them the nod to shoot or not..

Happy Hunting!

Very nice review, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.