Durable scope for 338-378

hogwild

I'm needing some advise on a good durable hunting scope for my Accumark 338-378. I have been using the Nikon monarch 4x12 scopes but this gun keeps destroying the scopes. They start out parallax free but after about 1/2-3/4 of a box that all changes. Yesterday I had to set the adjustment to 200 yards to have the scope be parallax free at 100 yards. Right now I have 2 of them on their way back to Nikon. Nikon has a great warranty but I'm tired of using it and I want a scope that will hold up. This gun will be used for elk hunting so I'm thinking a 3x9 or maybe a 4x12 would be just fine power wise but what brand will hold up?

Thanks,

Bill

The Nightforce looks like a great scope but I don't want a 50mm objective. I would like to stay with 40mm or maybe 44mm.

[ QUOTE ]
Leupolds hold up very well on the 338-378. I would give the VX-III 4.5-14x40AO a good hard look.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I will look in to the VX-III. I like the warranty Leupold has I just don't want to have to use it.

[ QUOTE ]
The Nightforce looks like a great scope but I don't want a 50mm objective. I would like to stay with 40mm or maybe 44mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a big rifle chambered in a big chambering and you are worried about 6-10MM of objective dia.???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My recommendation would be on lines with Bills with the Leuy but in the Mk4 LR instead.

I just got in a Mk4 3.5-10 FFP MLR with 40mm objective for my lightwieght 7mm AM and so far I am very impressed with it.

My very first choice would be the NF 3.5-15 but that is my personal choice. Since you do not like the 50mm objective, go with one of the Leupold Mk4s with the 40mm objective.

When you start scoping the big boys, the list of scopes that will offer totally trouble free performance is pretty short. At the top of my short list is Leupold at #2 and Nightforce at #1.

There are certainly others that will work but these are by far the top two performers.

Kirby Allen(50)

A buddy of mine has had a Burris Signature 6-24x44 on his since it was a 30-378 (shot out and rebarrled to 338-378) fired @ 2000 times with the new barrel, and is now at Shilen getting rebarreled again all without any scope problems. I know it's not a Night force, but it's 44mm and it's pretty darn clear, and it can without a doubt withstand recoil.

Hi i have a Nightforce 2.5-10 here and it is just awsome i am testing it on a rifle and at night on 2.5 power it magnifies the available light and is very clear. I would not trust any other scope on that type of Rifle as the Nightforce scopes are almost unbreakable.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.