Ultralight, or ultra durable

gommer

Well, sold my hunting rifle a few years back with the intent of replacing it with a more versatile rifle. Old rifle was 30-06, good round. I wanted to be able to hunt large game at longer range but also not be ridiculous overkill for local deer.

Found a deal on a 300 win mag that was too good to turn down, made the trip to go get it - not a short trip, but it was a deal. Light rifle with a 26" carbon fiber barrel. Got there, 22" carbon fiber barrel, they don't even make the rifle with a 26" barrel so, at least in part, I'm an idiot for even having gone. Great dealer, though, did his best to make it right - gave me a rifle at what he said was cost + shipping (it was at another store) -- probably not the first rifle I'd have chosen but the more time I've had to let it sink in the more I'm liking the idea.

It's a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT with a 22" barrel. I double checked, they only make it in a 22", so I'm safe! Looking at the 7MM PRC round, looks like it does very well out of a 22" barrel. Anyway, without going down the caliber rabbit hole -- I'm warming up to the idea even though ammo options are very limited.

That said, now I have this rifle coming that is 5lbs and a few ounces. And a scope that's going to go on it that weighs 34oz. (Steiner t6xi 3-18)

So, now I'm torn. Originally, I was expecting to have a 12lb rifle to tote around. Having a 7lb rifle... just wasn't something I was going to pay for. But, you also don't get to a 7lb rifle by adding 2lbs of optic and likely 7-10 oz of mount, and probably the same weight in sling and studs. Doing that I'd probably end up with a 8-9lb rifle.

Or I could go another route and have a 7lb rifle. That's surely going to require a different optic.

So then I'll have a 7lb magnum caliber rifle. Granted, doesn't say magnum in the name - with 35ish lbs of recoil (if I recall correctly) it's squarely in magnum territory. I'm not sure that's something I want, being frank. I'm not particularly recoil shy but this is also a rifle I'd like to use to ring steel from time to time, not just a hiking rifle.

Then there's the last piece of this puzzle, which is really what's caused me to go through a loop. I've seen multiple accounts of these specific rifles in 300 PRC getting cracks in the bedding of the stock. Granted, these are all from people who shoot a lot, not just a few times a year, I'm also typically one to shoot a lot.

So, I'm thinking I've got 3 options here...

1 - go with the 8-9lb rifle and just build it with what I've got.
2 - replace the optic with something more along the 20oz range and have a sub 8lb rifle
3 - replace the stock with an MDT Bravo chassis and have a 10lb rifle that can withstand more abuse

I'm strongly leaning towards 3, as the area I live is steep in places and unlike 'rocky' mountain areas -- the ground gives way here quite often. Not saying I got sliding down into a ravine all the time or anything but I've found myself on my seat plenty of times. So having a more... durable chassis seems a plus. The added weight, I'm not really sure how much of a difference that'd make to me. Can't say I typically weigh my guns but I've never been out and thought my gun weighed too much to lug around.

But, I've also never had a 7lb rifle, I'm sure. I've got a pretty light AR-15, it might be in that range -- but I also don't carry it around hunting.

Anyway, lot's of wind there. Just looking for thoughts and opinions. I don't even have hands on the rifle yet, that might make my mind up for me real quick - who knows.

Go with the 7prc, scope, rings, etc you'll be in the 8.5lbs range and that is manageable-- add a suppressor and now you're 9lbs and change.

Since it's a 700 footprint you could always add a heavier stock with some adjustability and gain .5-1.5lbs... and personally I've never cared for the CA stocks but maybe the FFT is a bit nicer.

Hey fairly new over here but I have owned almost all of the ridgelines and mesa's and now two FFTs, one in 6.5 Ti Ridgeline and one 7 PRC Mesa Ti. The FFT stock is significantly lighter and better than the previous but still a similar contour. For 7 PRC I wouldn't worry about a lighter rifle as the recoil isn't too bad. Having had two 300 PRCs, it almost becomes mandatory to run them braked. So to try to answer your question are you running a brake or a suppressor firstly. Second, I have XLR chassis on my main rifles now. One can easily go from one to the other, and it would only require a quick range check to readjust/reconfirm zero. So day hunts in rocky areas you can run the heavier chassis, and longer backpack hunts you can run the 19oz FFT stock. The FFT stock is nice but not able to adjust comb height or (easily) attach a tripod for rock solid shooting without some work so I prefer the chassis.

I'm not affiliated other than have given thousands to XLR, but the ability to have a folding stock that is fully adjustable and quick to attach to my glassing tripod via arca Swiss rail is so nice. Another option is to add weights to the stock for load development or range fun, then strip it down for hunting. My Vudoo and 308 and 6.5 PRC will all share the REM 700 SA stock, as my 300 PRC is now a BAT (sold the original Ridgeline) and sits in its Vampire inletting I can share. I do have a REM 700 LA enroute that will live on a Mesa 300 or a 300 RUM in AK. Again super versatile just pricey.

Hope this helps and sorry for the ramble. Don't skimp on optic durability is my only rule. Eat a few ounces for optic durability.

With the muzzle brake, recoil is going to be about the same as your old 30-06 without a brake. Can you shoot it first before you finalize your decision?

Buy a Swarovski Z5 3X18X44 (16oz) Talley one piece mounts.
If it does not have a good recoil pad ,get one.
I refuse to pack a 9-10lbs rifle around hunting when you lug it all day and shot it once or twice(maybe if you are lucky)

^^^this. Spot on. I'll add the 7prc FFT braked isn't much recoil, but less enjoyable suppressed depending on what length/model you run. The lengthened recoil from magnums suppressed can make it harder to get back on target fast which is a big deal to me so for my light rifles and farther back backcountry style hunting I prefer a side port brake. Heads up though if the rifle isn't shooting decent or isn't cycling unfired rounds send it back asap. They had a run of 2000 rifles where the reamer was the wrong spec and were sent out unknowingly. Ask me how I know. They have supposedly fixed this issue but I know of three personally that were lemons. Customer service was stellar though with immediate response and refund. This was my 3rd CA and the other two have been great rifles for the money with no issues to speak of. Weight wise anything around 8 is fine and great for most hunts. If I have camp on my back though I'm shooting for sub 7.

Last edited:
Well, sold my hunting rifle a few years back with the intent of replacing it with a more versatile rifle. Old rifle was 30-06, good round. I wanted to be able to hunt large game at longer range but also not be ridiculous overkill for local deer.

Found a deal on a 300 win mag that was too good to turn down, made the trip to go get it - not a short trip, but it was a deal. Light rifle with a 26" carbon fiber barrel. Got there, 22" carbon fiber barrel, they don't even make the rifle with a 26" barrel so, at least in part, I'm an idiot for even having gone. Great dealer, though, did his best to make it right - gave me a rifle at what he said was cost + shipping (it was at another store) -- probably not the first rifle I'd have chosen but the more time I've had to let it sink in the more I'm liking the idea.

It's a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT with a 22" barrel. I double checked, they only make it in a 22", so I'm safe! Looking at the 7MM PRC round, looks like it does very well out of a 22" barrel. Anyway, without going down the caliber rabbit hole -- I'm warming up to the idea even though ammo options are very limited.

That said, now I have this rifle coming that is 5lbs and a few ounces. And a scope that's going to go on it that weighs 34oz. (Steiner t6xi 3-18)

So, now I'm torn. Originally, I was expecting to have a 12lb rifle to tote around. Having a 7lb rifle... just wasn't something I was going to pay for. But, you also don't get to a 7lb rifle by adding 2lbs of optic and likely 7-10 oz of mount, and probably the same weight in sling and studs. Doing that I'd probably end up with a 8-9lb rifle.

Or I could go another route and have a 7lb rifle. That's surely going to require a different optic.

So then I'll have a 7lb magnum caliber rifle. Granted, doesn't say magnum in the name - with 35ish lbs of recoil (if I recall correctly) it's squarely in magnum territory. I'm not sure that's something I want, being frank. I'm not particularly recoil shy but this is also a rifle I'd like to use to ring steel from time to time, not just a hiking rifle.

Then there's the last piece of this puzzle, which is really what's caused me to go through a loop. I've seen multiple accounts of these specific rifles in 300 PRC getting cracks in the bedding of the stock. Granted, these are all from people who shoot a lot, not just a few times a year, I'm also typically one to shoot a lot.

So, I'm thinking I've got 3 options here...

1 - go with the 8-9lb rifle and just build it with what I've got.
2 - replace the optic with something more along the 20oz range and have a sub 8lb rifle
3 - replace the stock with an MDT Bravo chassis and have a 10lb rifle that can withstand more abuse

I'm strongly leaning towards 3, as the area I live is steep in places and unlike 'rocky' mountain areas -- the ground gives way here quite often. Not saying I got sliding down into a ravine all the time or anything but I've found myself on my seat plenty of times. So having a more... durable chassis seems a plus. The added weight, I'm not really sure how much of a difference that'd make to me. Can't say I typically weigh my guns but I've never been out and thought my gun weighed too much to lug around.

But, I've also never had a 7lb rifle, I'm sure. I've got a pretty light AR-15, it might be in that range -- but I also don't carry it around hunting.

Anyway, lot's of wind there. Just looking for thoughts and opinions. I don't even have hands on the rifle yet, that might make my mind up for me real quick - who knows.

Check out Weatherby's ultralite rifles. Under 5 lbs. to 6 1/4 lbs. Standard calibers or maybe one of the new RPM calibers. Most of the 6 lug actions have 24" bbls. Can even get a LH action. I have two ultralites, 243 and 240//338/06. Picked up the 338/06 bbl. and swap it on the 240 occationally. Would I do it again? Yes since nobody else can beat Weatherby's light weight and under 5 lb. rifles with 24" bbls. I would also choose the 6.5 RPM and 338 RPM in 5 3/4 lb. and later (I need!!) an under 5 lb. in 240. I use Leupolds 2.5 -8x scopes (12 oz. ) in Conetrol rings (3 oz. ). Keeping it lite.

Appreciate all the feedback. Picked the rifle up today, mounted the optic - oof. Definitely going to have to change something. I'm not sure an optic can be mounted low enough to be able to get a cheek weld on the FFT stock.

The rifle by itself is an interesting thing to pick up, for sure. With the optic on it, though, there is a very odd balance there. Optic mounted it comes in just at 8lbs with bathroom scale precision.

Based on @JordanM's feedback I'm going to go ahead and move to a lightweight chassis system. I'm going to stick with the optic I've got until I get that in and see how they fit together, I'll switch to a new mount which will save me 7 ounces, that'll leave me under 9lbs and if that doesn't do the trick for me I'll look into switching to a lighter optic to pull it down to 8lbs.

From what I've seen, should have no problem offloading the FFT stock to recover the cost of something like the KRG Bravo so it just makes sense.

No chases fit a ultra lite build.I think the MAP ultra lite comes in at 7+ #,that's about as close as you normally get