Durability of figured maple?

My pleasure... Mudrunner alerted me to the thread, not sure how I missed it.
Next trip to TX I'll have to look you up, looks like we have a few things I common.
Joel my pm's don't work any more and Len can't figure out how to get them to but you can get all of my personal contact info from Mario if you drop him a PM.

You come through Seymour and I'll buy you a hamburger and a DP at the DQ and visit a while if nothing else.

You are one of the few people I can always count on learning from just as I did in this thread so you are welcome here anytime.

Does anyone make a laminate that looks like maple?
There are some pretty light laminates available but due to being laminates you get all sorts of layers showing when the blank is carved and sanded down.

To get one that really looked like maple you'd probably need to contact a custom stock maker like Joel Russo.

To get an idea of what's available just go over to Stocky's.

The popular colored blanks you see are made with Birch veneer that has been dyed different colors. A stock maker can make you a maple laminated blank, but the figure in the blank would be interrupted, and not too visually pleasing. I've made laminated maple blanks in the past, but that was because the customer wanted a 5" wide forend.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.