Duct Tape on muzzle brake

We were lucky, only one pipe burst out at the barn, power and water on the duration of the week. Saw a low of -4 one morning at 7 am, have Covert pic's with -7 at the feeder, temp under 32 for a week. We are out in the county and have Co-op power and water they did a great job.
Why don't you just go on vacation to Cancun?

So we have tested this many times electrical tape is your friend. (Easier on barrel finishes too) keeps debris in water out of your barrel. You can keep extra with you by putting a couple wraps back in the middle of your barrel in case you need more. However sound will not be really affected as the blast will blow through the tape and blow it off. Also note we tested point of impact changes and no change was found whether tape was ran or not. If you want noise reduction by a lightweight can silencer co-Harvester or thunder beast Dominus. Don't use Q D's with rifles but get the thread on shoulder break and you should be good to go

At least 80 posts of false garbage about how tape causes some kind of problem and recommendations for hearing protection that isn't very good for hunting conditions.

No, tape won't effect how a brake works and it definitely won't make them quieter. Anybody that uses tape is doing it to prevent debris from blocking the bore, not to change the brake. Anybody that claims that tape will partially blow off has never used it. I use electrical tape that is designed for cold temperatures so that snow won't plug my bore.

I use the Otto NoizeBarrier earbuds. The battery charge lasts all day, they are comfortable, they don't interfere with your rifle, and they allow you to hear normal sounds perfectly. In fact, they have an amplified mode where normal sounds are slightly louder while muzzle blast is cutout. I've tried many different kinds of cheaper devices and none were as useful, comfortable, and convenient as the Otto earbuds.

I agree. You can buy, for a reasonable cost, hearing protection that has a mike and speakers in them. They however limit the max volume that the speakers will provide your ears. When I use them, I can actually hear better than I can without the hearing protection. They act as hearing aid if you turn the volume up enough.

I use Walker's Razor Quad ear muffs. Protects hearing when firing any weapon, especially rifles with muzzle brakes. The quad speakers let you determine where the sounds are coming from (such as an Elk bugling), and I am able to hear my guide whispering to me. The Razors are thin profile so it doesn't interfere with stock weld when shouldering the rifle. They can be purchased off of Camofire for less than $75

I highly recommend the Walker razor quads as well. They are slim enough that they do not bother need to use them while shooting. My hunting is limited to deer hunting out of a stand am I lay them over my leg slip them on when I see a deer.

On another tangent, I wear both over-the-ear and foam plugs while shooting target. Even guns without muzzle brakes are loud enough to cause damage with just a few shots with no protection. When you double up on protection though, you do not get the two antennuation numbers added together. Over the ear muffs are generally around 22 decibels of reduction and plugs are usually around 32. If you wear both you do not end up with 54 decibels of reduction. Wearing both will only give you around 40 decibels of antennuation. Rifles with muzzle brakes can produce 170 decibels of sound. That means that with plugs and muffs you are still at a point where you can suffer damage with repeated exposures. It's your hearing and you only have it once, do as you wish. On a side note, my dad was a World War II vet who was in the service for the entirety of the war. When he died at 86 he could still here as well as ever.

I highly recommend the Walker razor quads as well. They are slim enough that they do not bother need to use them while shooting. My hunting is limited to deer hunting out of a stand am I lay them over my leg slip them on when I see a deer.

On another tangent, I wear both over-the-ear and foam plugs while shooting target. Even guns without muzzle brakes are loud enough to cause damage with just a few shots with no protection. When you double up on protection though, you do not get the two antennuation numbers added together. Over the ear muffs are generally around 22 decibels of reduction and plugs are usually around 32. If you wear both you do not end up with 54 decibels of reduction. Wearing both will only give you around 40 decibels of antennuation. Rifles with muzzle brakes can produce 170 decibels of sound. That means that with plugs and muffs you are still at a point where you can suffer damage with repeated exposures. It's your hearing and you only have it once, do as you wish. On a side note, my dad was a World War II vet who was in the service for the entirety of the war. When he died at 86 he could still here as well as ever.
Wax earplugs form to your body at body temperature. A glove fit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.