Duct Tape on muzzle brake

There are several questions running thru this thread.
First one is the tape around the muzzle break. As Varmint Hunter elaborated on any type of tape will do nothing. It will blow off from the build up of pressure in the barrel before the bullet exists. It does nothing but protect from getting debris in the barrel. There are videos on Youtube were they test this against shift in point of impact. A good one is from "Barbourcreek Long Range Shooting School and Long Range Hunting" titled "Using Electric Tape to protect you Barrel".

Second question is hearing protection. Google "Walker Razor Ear muffs". These electronic ear muff amplify ambient sounds and muffle gun shots. So you get any animals sounds and you get them amplified plus you get the protection from the muzzle blast. I second the suppressor option that will "reduce" recoil and muzzle noise.

When hunting in the field a muzzle brake is a pain and the extreme noise can damage your hearing. Has anybody ever tried wrapping the end of the gun with duct tape in order to block the holes on the muzzle brake? Is this an ok way to temporarily block the muzzle brake?
Would it not be better to unscrew and remove brake and put in your pocket. I have quit shooting anything without ear protection, non only big capacity center fire cartridges but even rim fire 22. One has to be very close to an animal to hear it in the woods, but I am mainly only interested in long range hunting.

When hunting in the field a muzzle brake is a pain and the extreme noise can damage your hearing. Has anybody ever tried wrapping the end of the gun with duct tape in order to block the holes on the muzzle brake? Is this an ok way to temporarily block the muzzle brake?

OK, so you had never heard of electronic hearing protection (I'm not sure how you could have missed it if your ever go online on any hunting or shooting websites). Electronic hearing protection uses ear plugs or ear muffs with electronic circuitry where there is a microphone on the outside, a miniature speaker inside, and the electronics act like a hearing aid to pass through the sound. They will have a volume control that lets you set whether the normal sound is reduced or about normal, or amplified, but the electronic circuit monitors the sound and cuts off completely whenever the outside sound is too loud.

Cheap systems cost as little as $30-40 for electronic ear muffs that are ok for casual range shooting, better systems using muffs or ear plugs cost $100 or more (some much more). All work reasonably well at blocking shooting noise, but the better systems work much better at giving you natural sound and avoiding wind noise. The better systems also generally recover more quickly after the shot (the cheapest systems might take as much as 1/2 second after a shot before the sound comes back on).

I don't want to be that guy, but why did you buy a rifle with a muzzle brake if you don't want one.

Since you never heard of electronic hearing protection, perhaps you also didn't know that the muzzle brake on your rifle is simply screwed on the end of the barrel and can just be unscrewed and removed. If you want to put the muzzle brake back on afterwards you will probably need to buy a "crush washer" but those are cheap. The crush washer isn't absolutely essential, but it is needed if you expect to get the muzzle brake installed where it is both tight and properly oriented. You might also want to get a "thread protector" to screw on the threads while the muzzle brake is removed.

Last edited:
OK, so you had never heard of electronic hearing protection (I'm not sure how you could have missed it if your ever go online on any hunting or shooting websites). Electronic hearing protection uses ear plugs or ear muffs with electronic circuitry where there is a microphone on the outside, a miniature speaker inside, and the electronics act like a hearing aid to pass through the sound. They will have a volume control that lets you set whether the normal sound is reduced or about normal, or amplified, but the electronic circuit monitors the sound and cuts off completely whenever the outside sound it too loud.

Cheap systems cost as little as $30-40 for electronic ear muffs that are ok for casual range shooting, better systems using muffs or ear plugs cost $100 or more (some much more). All work reasonably well at blocking shooting noise, but the better systems work much better at giving you natural sound and avoiding wind noise. The better systems also generally recover more quickly after the shot (the cheapest systems might take as much as 1/2 second after a shot before the sound comes back on).

I don't want to be that guy, but why did you buy a rifle with a muzzle break if you don't want one.

Since you never heard of electronic hearing protection, perhaps you also didn't know that the muzzle break on your rifle is simply screwed on the end of the barrel and can just be unscrewed and removed. If you want to put the muzzle break back on afterwards you will probably need to buy a "crush washer" but those are cheap. The crush washer isn't absolutely essential, but it is needed if you expect to get the muzzle break installed where it is both tight and properly oriented. You might also want to get a "thread protector" to screw on the threads while the muzzle break is removed.
The phrase is "muzzle brake," not "muzzle break." The magna port system is not screwed on, but consists of cuts in the barrel.

The phrase is "muzzle brake," not "muzzle break." The magna port system is not screwed on, but consists of cuts in the barrel.
Sorry, sometimes the fingers type faster than the brain.

Yes, MagnaPort does use cuts directly into the barrel, and there are also other kinds of ported barrels , but no one normally calls MagnaPort a muzzle brake and the slits for MagnaPort generally divert the gasses vertically to reduce muzzle rise with relatively less reduction in recoil and blast back to the shooter compared to a muzzle brake designed to reduce felt recoil.

Take the break off but protect the threads.

i have some weatherbys and they have a break But if needed i can unscrew it and put a threaded cap onto the threads (to protect the threads).
you would get a bigger recoil but if hunting, you may not notice it because of focusing in on shot and have layers of hunting clothes on.

The purpose of a muzzle brake is to lessen recoil...it serves no other purpose whatsoever. The idea of some sort of a linear brake that doesn't lessen recoil is just silly!
Just wondering if he meant to say radial brake as we know it does not project the blast rearward so not as loud but also difficult to use in the prone position as it blasts up leaves and dirt

I haven't bothered reading this entire silly thread. FWIW I have been using Sound Gear ear buds purchased from this site. They're effective even for the thunderous blast of my .454 Casull, and they allow me to still hear almost as well as my hearing aids.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.