Drop Compensation Reticle

bajabill

With the many variations of these coming out, I have a basic question that may be easier answered by some than me to think and guess and test.

Is the compensation only good at a single magnification. Or will it be true and consistent as I change from low to high magnification on an adjustable scope?

If you're talking about a reticle like the Leupold B&C reticle, then they are typically calibrated at the highest magnification and that would be where you would use the reticle compensation/spacing feature. The same is true with the NF NPR2 and NPR1 reticles. They are calibrated at the highest setting although at 11x instead of 22x the moa spacing is double so the R1 would be 1 moa at 22x and the spacing would be 2 moa at 11x

I know you said reticle but in case you're thinking drop compensating turret, in that case all you are using is the center crosshair so, if you have a scope that doesn't change poi by changing power, the poa stays the same no matter the power setting.

It is true that they are calibrated at the highest power, howver all it takes is a chrono and exbal to figure out the true POIs for any power and stadia wire.

Exbal has a reticle tool that allows you to do this.

My 3-9 TDS has figures from 6x to 9x for each of the four sub cross hairs. They are on a laminated card smaller than a credit card and while label tapes on side of the stock.

My 300 WSM with Barnes TTSX (3351 fps) POIs with 200 yard zero on center crosshair out to 317(9x) 367 (6x) to 675(9X) and 840 (6x)

If you know the MV and have exbal it is easy to do. You might need to email the mftr for exact distances from each crosshair. That is the distance you plug into the reticle tool, along with zero and other normal ballistic info.

I have set up the Boone and crockets, Nikon BDC, Burris Bplex and the TDS. NF will work also.

BH

thanks, this was how I thought it would be. I tried the search and got nothing, then after posting, the suggested threads that show up were very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.