Bullet Drop Compensator

magicofmt

Saw the video on long range hunting called Beyond Belief and was wondering where you can get those custom bullet drop compensators like they have on the video. I have a Leupold Mark V 4.5x14x50 and was wondering if you can get them for that scope. I know all the ballistics and ranges of my 300 WM out to 800 yds. I see on Leupolds website they have them but not for the scope I have. Anyone have a custom one like on the video?
Thanks!

U know, a # years ago there was an article in PS magazine where a guy made his own "DITY" knobs. If u want a copy of the article, let me know i'm looking at it right now. It's actaully in Tactical Shooter mag. 4/99, titled DITY-BDC. Pretty neat system this guy uses.

If we can get reprint permissions I can OCR the article and put it on one of my web sites. I'm sure a lot of folks are interested in this topic.

BDC are not magic. They work pretty good for most cartridges/guns out to 500-600 yards, not exactly long range by goodGroupers (or my) standards. Also, contrary to the BC worshipers - you need to do ACTUAL DROP TESTING - preferably in the conditions you will be using the BDC in.

I think it's an excellent way to get close then use your ballistics/palm to make differential adjustments to get right on.

Thanks sscoyote, I got the article on the DITY BDC yesterday, looks great. Haven't read the whole thing yet, just glanced at it.

Again thanks, I owe you one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just got a knob from kenton industries last week for my 6.5/284 and set it by the instructions. Here are the results.100 yds -dead on 300 yds dialed in-dead on 560yds-1 inch low 2inch right- light cross wind 850 yards-3 inchs low from center 4 inches right same cross wind This was all shot from a 13 pound rifle on sandbags across a truck hood. decide for yourself if this is acceptable thanks trb0

timbo,
did you buy the wind compensator? did you use it to compensate for the wind? Did you send in your load data and actual drop data to use for the knob? I'm curious cause I've been thinking of having them make one for me. Thanks

Re: Bullet Drop Compensator HOGWASH!!!

look... the BDC knobs work if and only if...

the conditions are exactly the same where ever you go...

if you never change altitude
if the weather always remains the same
and you never change your load

it is a great "easy out" and a great way to replace the learning you should do.. but it isn't the cats *** and answer to the "question"

learning your rifle and using the "clicks" will always be more accurate...

Use them if you wish but there are better ways

[ QUOTE ]
it is a great "easy out" and a great way to replace the learning you should do.. but it isn't the cats *** and answer to the "question"

learning your rifle and using the "clicks" will always be more accurate...

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't always agreed w/everything you said Ric, but you hit the nail on the head w/this one!!!!

Ric, Bill, you guys are on the money. I guess if your only shooting out to 5-600yds, as most BDC shooters do, it takes quite a bit pressure/temp change to even get 5in of difference. If guys are only interested in shooting 500yds it can work, just dont expect it to be close at 800yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.