Drilling out a Thunder Beast 223 brake

Wisconsinvette

I have a 30 cal Ultra 7 coming. The smallest thread they make the 30 cal mount in is 9/16x24. I am shooting 7mm and if I only have .600 at the muzzle would there be any reason I shouldnt just thread it 1/2x28 and buy the .223 brake and just drill it out for 7mm?

TBAC doesn't sell 1/2-28 CB brakes for anything larger than .223 because they claim past experience says there is a chance that with the suppressor weight and the little remaining wall thickness of the barrel, you could experience fatigue cracking of your barrel. They used to sell the 1/2-28 brakes in 30 cal because I bought one many years ago. I think at one point they told me if I was adamant in wanting another 1/2-28 brake in 30 cal that I could do just what you suggest and buy the smaller brake and have it drilled out, but they don't recommend doing so.

Make sure you don't run afoul of any Class 3 regulations. On all my Class 3 suppressor paperwork it shows the caliber as well as the serial number. I would check with BATFE before drilling out. Do it in an email, so you have something in writing if questioned down the road.

I would go with tdean's suggestion above and get the adaptor.

I've asked them before about drilling out a UL7 6.5 and they said don't do it. Please report back what they say. I'm curious, too, to see others have done it. It seems pretty straightforward on a lathe although you'd have to pay attention to galling of the titanium.

It would be done on a lathe for sure. As far as adapters I just hear bad things about stacking tolerances so figure it would be better not to.

You could also send your barreled action to Thunderbeast and they can build up a shoulder.
This. I can't find one now, but I would have bet a good bit of money I'd seen a false shoulder where you thread the barrel longer than normal at the largest thread you can cut, run this down it. Expands out at the end to give you a much larger shoulder to mount off.

Basically makes the barrel look like the Ruger 450 Bushmaster barrel: