Drew first wyoming Antelope tag!

gray776

This year my dad decided that he wanted to go antelope hunting. I jumped at the chance since my dad doesnt typically travel out of state to hunt, like I do. Since I wanted to guarantee a tag with nio points and after checking our 4guys schedule we decided on unit 32-2. This gave us virtually 100% odds.

Well we got em! So now we are going to start planning the hunt. If anyone has any tips or info on hunting this unit it would be greaty appreciated! We will be traveling with a camp trailer and also 4 wheelers. Are there any specific spots that you recommend that we can camp and make day trips to hunt or hunt out of camp (no campgrounds, we want to camp out in the land).

We are not looking for trophys, just nice bucks to fill our very first antelope, and then get a couple does as well.

Thanks so much!

Jason

Get ahold of Buffalobob. I believe he hunted there last year and may be heading there this year as well. He has also posted alot of info about his antelope hunts on this forum. Do a search under his name and you will find a ton of info.

my huntin partner and i also drew unit 32, but for doe/fawn. got 2 tags each !

we're plannin on hotel/motelin it.
shouldn't take more than a day to fill 4 tags... (i hope)

257 wthby mag is going for sure. not i figure out another to take along.....

a 338 rum maybe for a long shot, or my barrett !! zing, that'll flatten one !

gonna go open the safe and see what hasn't been blooded yet...

My buddies and I also drew our first Wyoming Antelope tags. We'll be hunting in the Casper area the week of Sept 21st. I am so looking forward to this trip!

Last edited:
If you plan on using the 4-wheelers in WY, you need to buy an ORV tag for each one. They want you to stay on approved roads, and have maps of each area where the ORV's are allowed to travel. I learned that on my trip last year and had to scramble a week before leaving to get the tag.

i have always hunted area 10 but in any case one thing you can count on is the wind. might be 5 one minute and then again it might be 25 mph the next. at least that is my experiance. really just depends when you go i always go out the first week in Oct. and one or two days it usually snows. one week as i recall opening day i needed sun screen, got to about 85 degrees. the next the high was about 50 and the next day high was 35 with 18" of snow and 20-39 mph winds. all of that in one week. but being from Indiana and going to Wyoming it is all worth it i have been at it since 1990.
good luck to all of you and be safe.

I lived in Casper for over 20 years and it is windy there. First thing in the morning was always the best time to get out. By 9 or 10 it was starting to blow. We actually got a little snow the first part of June this year. They always say if you don't like the weather in WY, wait a minute. Make sure you bring tire chains with you. I carry them year round. You just never know what you might get yourself into.

Thanks for all the info guys! We are looking forward to it. Hoping to make a kill over 550, as that is what I killed my elk at last year.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts