I drew my antelope tag!

tillroot1

I found out this morning that I drew the tag that I wanted. 81 type 2 in Wyoming. I really want to take a good buck, what are the best signs of being a shooter or not?
The season for this tag is Nov 1, and is a buck tag only. When do they rut and do the bigger bucks tend to hang by themselves? or with the herds? any opinions are appreciated. Ron Tilley

Congrats Tillroot on your draw, goat hunting is a great time!
I hunt Wyoming about every year for speedgoats, and what I will tell you is the rut is all but over in November. They start to rut as early as mid September and pretty much over by the end of October.
Typically by the end of October they are starting to "bunch up", in other words they are starting to form large herds. This is good and bad because they are easy to find, but there are also alot of eyes on the lookout! So galss them from a long way out and sneak em slow and you will score.
As far as judging, I believe they are the hardest to animal to field judge. You are looking for Mass, Prong length and horn length-in that order. One way to field judge is to use their ear length and the distance between their eyes-both right at 6". This will at least give you a reference when you are glassing them.
Good luck!!!

Congrats and good luck....tag soup is pretty thin hope you can trade it in on something a little tastier.

Re: Field judging

Eddybo,

I will be going to Wyoming in October to hunt the speed goats. How do you field judge one?. Any info will be of help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance. Jim in Mississippi

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.