DPMS 6.5 creedmoor delema

lokepup

Rugerm77target.jpg
DPMSPanther65creed.jpg

Hello, just wanted to say how much I am excited about this forum and wanted someone to help me with a little problem. I ordered a DPMS creed and it was listed as having a 7.5 inch twist. Come to find out that that is no longer offered and the twist is 1 in 8.5. its a 24 inch bull. Called hornandy and they state that the Creedmoor was "printed" for 1in8 inch twist.Called DPMS and asked how other bullets would behave in this rifle(like swift 140GR or there interlock 160Gr ect)As I plan to reload (dont think I have much of a choice!)And they told me that I would just have to find out for myself. And dont want to be stuck with 120's because of the twist. OR, am i wrong to think this? Right now I have the option to turn away from this rifle because It was listed wrong but don't necessarily want to. I was going to get the M77 but was talked into this because they are SOO hard to find! Should I go with the ruger? Can someone help!!?

You will be fine with 140's. You could even go up to 142's. As for the two rifles and which one. That is up to you. My self I like the black rifle, and tend to shy away from ruger's. Just my 2 cents.

lokepup,
Tough dilemma. This is just opinion. I prefer bolt rifles over gas guns. I know todays black rifles are capable of amazing accuracy. Up until last year I kept my distance from Ruger's also. My fault.
I recently worked with a model 77 like the one pictured but in .220 Swift. The owner, my boss, wanted me to sight it in for 250yds using Hornady 40gn Moly V-Max bullets. I was surprised when it printed .3 & .4" groups at 100yds with factory fodder. He also wanted me to reload for it but I advised him as long as it will shoot factory ammo like that he didn't need reloads. He's the type that gets 3-5 boxes when he buys a rifle and keeps them for 10 years. He still had 3 boxes from the original purchase.
Sorry so long winded but if push came to shove and I had to pick ONE, it would be the Ruger. Bolt man at heart. :) JohnnyK.

I guess re-barreling is always an option for either rifle down the road... With that said; I think the Ruger is going to do more for you in this project and cartridge.

I love my DPMS. It is the sweetheart of the range. I regularly shoot the pieces of clay pidgeons That the other guys break at 100 yards just for fun. :D

This rifle will put 10 shots into 1/2 x 3/4 inch at that distance when I do my part. Mine is in .223 . My handloads are 60 gr Sierra or Hornaday over Varget and WSR.

So get whatever you want but worry about DPMS. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.