DPG 6.5 Creedmoor

Browninglover1

The rifle started out as a Remington 700 VLS 22-250 that my parents gave me when I graduated high school. This was the rifle that allowed me to learn the value and fun of reloading and how to shoot with confidence. After 5k rounds at rocks, targets, and varmints I decided it was time for something new.

Conveniently, I was rolling up on graduation from college and my parents told me they'd happily let me build my first custom off the rifle they had given me. I called up Lorenzo at DPG, put together a build sheet, and 8 months later got my rifle back.

During load development the rifle never showed a strong liking for Bergers or A-Max's but it will shoot the 140 grain Nosler Custom Competition with boring 0.5 MOA consistency at 100 yards. Below is the photo of the first 300 yard group I put on paper. The first 3 shots went 0.21 MOA and on the 4th shot the guy next to me fired right as I was squeezing the trigger and caused me to jump before the shot broke. Even with the bad shot the group was less than 0.5 MOA.

300 yards.jpg

Here's the final build specs:
Action: Trued Remington 700
Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
Barrel: 25" Brux Remington Varmint Contour 1-8.5" Twist
Trigger: Shilen
Stock: Bobby Hart LRT
Base and Rings: Seekins 20 MOA base with Warne Rings
Scope: Sightron SIII 6-24 LRMOA-2

image.jpg

I have not tried the Amax's as the sst's are pretty hard to beat at 1/4 inch groups. I've only used them and the bergers but the sst's are it in this rifle. This is also with R/L 17.

Randy

I have not tried the Amax's as the sst's are pretty hard to beat at 1/4 inch groups. I've only used them and the bergers but the sst's are it in this rifle. This is also with R/L 17.

Randy

I'll have to buy a box when my supply of the Noslers run out. Did you ever try H4350 or go straight with RL17? My 300 WSM loves RL17 so it would be nice if the Creedmoor would shoot it well too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.