Down side to using a 20 moa rail?

RangerBrad

I realize that it's used for shooting long range to keep from maxing out your scope however, is there a down side to it whenshooting at short distance? I'm using a 25-06 and figured I'd just set it at 200 yds and hold dead on for coyote and bigger game up close but would allow for long shots without maxing the turret on my scope> What say yal? Is there a down side to 20 moa rail and if not why don't most everyone use them? Thank's, Brad

none i see unless the scope dosen't have at least 40 moa of total travel.
if it dosent it may not be able to be zeroed at closer ranges.

As long as you can get zeroed at 200yds no problem. Even if you are pushing the vertical limit at that range all one need do is aim about 3" low for 100yds shots and with most calibers that should put you plus/minus 1".

You should not have any problem with a 200 yard 0. I have 20 moa rails on 7 rifles and have never had a problem with 100 yard 0s with NF NXS scopes. Even the 8-32 will zero at 100.

Thank's fellas, I guess it's a go. RDM416, didn't you just get back from a hunt? hope everything went great. When I get everything in order I'll have to take you up on your offer and come down to your range for a shoot. Maybe we can gather the info for my BDC turret. Brad

I have a Stiller 20 moa base on a Predator long action. I used Burris Tactical rings and a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 scope. I ended up having to put a shim in the front ring in order to get zeroed at 200 yds. Even then I ended up being one click from bottoming out on elevation adjustment. That gives me the entire vertical adjustment range to play with but I would rather have not had to use the shim. I'm sure that isn't a common experience but it happened in my case.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.