Donut on 28 nosler

Monterey21

I have two 28 Noslers and both form a donut on the inside of the case at the neck to shoulder junction. It's not the same size on every case. I just changed over to LE Wilson case trimmer and bought the reamer at the same time. These cases were not neck wall turned and were resized with full length die, not a Bushing die. I think the variance in the Donut causes issues with neck tension and accuracy. It shows up when I try to slide a bullet back in a fired case. These are not hot loads and the bullets are seated in past that point. Question is, is this common with this cartridge? Do other people that reload the 28 Nosler have this issue?

Yes, I have a 28 and noticed this problem, with a SAMMI chamber, it is going to be a problem, some custom 28s have enough freebore to not have this problem. I have not purchased a inside neck reamer yet, but plan to soon, I understand annealing the cases is supposed to help keep this from happening, that is something else I plan to try once I ream the donut out.

Forgot to mention, setting the shoulder back .002 Max will help as well, I was over sizing mine in the beginning, and started to push them back .002 now

Forgot to mention, setting the shoulder back .002 Max will help as well, I was over sizing mine in the beginning, and started to push them back .002 now

Thanks everyone. I do anneal after each firing and only move shoulder enough to close the bolt. About .001 from the fired dimension. Running the reamer will be part of life. A guy from Nosler said it is the brass flowing from the case wall to the neck shoulder junction. I am going to try shortening the length of the neck I size. To stay way away from that point.

When you size your necks all of the imperfections are pushed to the inside of the neck. I think you would greatly benefit from neck turning your brass. About 80% cleanup and slightly in the shoulder would help prevent the donut. When you expand the neck the donut will be pushed to the outside and cut away

I have an inside neck reamer. Only issue it takes more brass out then just the doughnut. Quite a bit at the mouth. If I was in your position I would either have the throat extended or shoot bullets that will be above the neck shoulder junction. If it's short, try 180 Berger Hybrids they are about the shortest bearing surface 180 bullet I know of. And yes they will kill animals.

Do not inside ream necks. As long as bullet base does not touch the donut, just ignore it.

I have both a 28 Nosler SAAMI chambered rifle and a match chambered rifle and have not had the donut issue you described after many reloads. I do however sometimes use 26 Nosler Brass when I can't get 28 Nosler and neck it up to 28. The resulting step creates a donut at the case neck, shoulder junction.

To make sure we are talking the same thing a donut at the neck shoulder junction is described as a slight bulge you can't see with the naked eye but is caused from the flow of thicker brass from the shoulder to the neck after multiple firing which also lengthens the case (requiring trimming). In my view you can't have a donut unless your cases are stretching from multiple firings or from opening up necks on a case as I have done with the 26 to 28 Nosler reform.

To resolve the donut caused by opening up the 26 Nosler to 28 Nosler, I outside neck turn using a 21st Century Shooting neck turner. The process uses a 21st Century expander die to push the donut to the outside. The case is then put in the case holder of the tool and run over a trimming mandrel with a 35 Degree cutter. the cutter is then adjusted down to either skim the neck or a deeper cut to the desired neck thickness.

Doing so removes the donut and trues up the neck. Mine is an old version that you provide power with a drill. Here is a video of the new, more expensive version that provides its own power and a lever to move it across the mandrel and cutter.

The thing I like about this is the cutter has that 35 degree cutter shoulder that matches the shoulder angle of the case so it is difficult to cut into the shoulder. 21st Century sells others with matching angles for other cases.

In my view inside neck reaming can't be as precise and may not get all of the donut because it is difficult to control the thickness of the neck when inside neck reaming.

The 21st Century uses a expander die to get the same inside dimension and then running it over the mandrel while cutting, which controls the neck thickness.

I have not used the other outside neck turners that are out there but believe they may provide the same accuracy.

Thoughts?

I

Great overview. I have the 21st Century tool along with Sinclair, Hornady, and Forster. IMO the 21st is the best. I have separate cutter heads to match specific cartridges. I talked 21st about this and they suggested annealing after each firing. I'm doing that. So it's to deal with. Inside ream or outside turn. I chose to inside because that's dealing with it ASAP.
To turn it from the outside is after all case prep. And hope everything is uniform inside.
I'll give the outside turn a shot. What are you using to resize your cases? What die maker and what type. I have Whidden clicker Fl bushing, Forester Fl and shoulder bump and Redding competition bushing dies. I use the Whidden die to form the case then run each case with a Sinclair expander mandrel to check uniformity. Consistent neck tension is my goal here.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

My dies are pretty generic Hornady custom dies. I have two sets of 28 Nosler dies. The only interesting point is my fist set was or was among the first made. I was working with Hornady on a 28-26 Nosler wildcat die set and with PTC for a reamer when Nosler announced the 28 Nosler. We went forward with the 28 Nosler chamber drawings to come up with the die drawings and subsequent dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.