Donor 700 Actions vs New 700 Actions

SpeedGoatShooter37

Hello all. I've started down the path of building my first rifle. Are the stand alone Remington actions that one can by the same actions that come in an SPS model 700? Or are the ones used in the SPS an economy variant? When factoring in bottom metals, magazine, follower, etc, etc, it is cheaper to buy an SPS and strip it down to its components than it is to buy a stand alone receiver. If the parts are the same, this is the route I'll take, but if there's a difference in part quality, I'd be inclined to go the other way.

Last edited:
I've done it both ways before and with regard to price, if I watch for sales, it's usually about a wash. If you know where to look, I can usually find new Rem 700 actions for around $300 +/- sometimes less depending on which bolt face you're looking for.

They are the same. I would encourage you to look at total cost of building a custom on a 700 action vs buying a custom action. Depending on what all you wAnt to do sometimes it's a wash cost wise but custom action has better resale
You've got my attention. What would you recommend?

Well if you do things like a custom bolt, or just flute the bolt, high speed firing pin, side bolt release etc, that stuff alone almost gets you to the cost of a custom action. The machine work gets you the rest of the way there. If you get an action with a integral rail that's another $100+ and when it's part of the action you eliminate a possible weak link in your scope mount. Just give it a long hard look. Not to mention of you sell it'll sell easier and bring more money. There's lots of great actions out there. Stiller predators are pretty inexpensive. I like defiance and Lone Peak Arms a lot.. Crux makes some great stuff. Call Brian at shoot-long.com (a site sponsor here) he has tons of resources. Is fast and good. I have had him build 8-10 rifles. All are shooters. Feel free to shoot me a text if you have specific questions or wanna chat more 307-250-7478

Hello all. I've started down the path of building my first rifle. Are the stand alone Remington actions that one can by the same actions that come in an SPS model 700? Or are the ones used in the SPS an economy variant? When factoring in bottom metals, magazine, follower, etc, etc, it is cheaper to buy an SPS and strip it down to its components than it is to buy a stand alone receiver. If the parts are the same, this is the route I'll take, but if there's a difference in part quality, I'd be inclined to go the other way.
I have about $2700 in my custom 700 action 6BR rifle. And my custom action target rifles cost less and shoot better. Would not go this route again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.