Remington 700 Factory Actions

I'm curious why Remington 700 actions aren't true from the factory? I've had Tikka's and Howa's rebarreled and both have been true from the factory. Not throwing rocks at Remington, just curious. I actually have a Rem 700 action at a gunsmith being built right now.

I did it to my 700 7mm Remington Magnum. Had the barrel vise, etc. So, I did it myself. - When I closed the bolt, you'd hear a squeak. It was the bolt face not being perfect to the receiver. Visual swipe marks half-way around the brass case heads. I trued-up the bolt face. - Now it doesn't do it. :D
I did not send the rifle in to Remington cuz I had a SAKO-style extractor already installed. - They will not do warranty work on anything if they see any modifications done.

- I just sent the bolt in to this guy.

Last edited:
Remington actions, right along with the rest of the bolt action 'sporting' actions are made of pre-heat treated steel, whether it be CM or SS. The steel arrives already heat treated by the mill. Heat treated 4140 can be cut with a file, and high speed tooling, too. It's hard on high speed tooling, but in todays world carbide it the tooling of choice. We bed rifles today because neither stocks or actions are 'perfect'.
Nothing is perfect, because perfection is a relative theory. Lathe turned receivers can be turned VERY straight and concentric.

There are quite a few impressive shooting rifles winning national level PRS style matches in stocks/chassis that aren't bedded.

Nothing is perfect, because perfection is a relative theory. Lathe turned receivers can be turned VERY straight and concentric.

There are quite a few impressive shooting rifles winning national level PRS style matches in stocks/chassis that aren't bedded.
So, you would account these "winners" solely to these custom actions? I'd think not! True, lathe turned action can be very straight, but as close to perfection could only be found off a centerless ground, round action. Bearing inners and outers are centerless ground. I'd say it's a combination of things that make a 'winner', the action being near the bottom of my list. Screw a higher end custom barrel to the shoulder on a Salvage and it'll be competitive in many circles, not that I'm any fan of Salvage. In the end, the skill of the 'driver' is right near, if not at, the top of my list. As for knowing what is possible in the world of machining, well, I've been machining since '74. I haven't seen everything, but I've seen a quit a bit over the years!

My last half dozen Rem 700 "RR" prefix actions were dead true to the centreline, from raceways to barrel shoulder and bolt recess…however, as to the WAY that 700 bolts are assembled, they were all off a very small amount. This is why I prefer to use PT&G one piece bolts on my builds. Since closing my gunsmithing business and then losing all of my guns, I no longer get to play with any new stuff, as was planned.
Remington made very good stuff on those recent CNC machines, it's just that the people assembling the parts took no care in what they were doing…and it's not just Remington that put out less than ideal rifles when the bean counters get involved.
There are many manufacturers of guns that have had the same issue, including very large NAMES in the business.

Cheers.

So, you would account these "winners" solely to these custom actions? I'd think not! True, lathe turned action can be very straight, but as close to perfection could only be found off a centerless ground, round action. Bearing inners and outers are centerless ground. I'd say it's a combination of things that make a 'winner', the action being near the bottom of my list. Screw a higher end custom barrel to the shoulder on a Salvage and it'll be competitive in many circles, not that I'm any fan of Salvage. In the end, the skill of the 'driver' is right near, if not at, the top of my list. As for knowing what is possible in the world of machining, well, I've been machining since '74. I haven't seen everything, but I've seen a quit a bit over the years!

No, but I'm saying manufacturing processes have come a long way in the last 2 decades, and much of that in the last.

"screw a higher end custom barrel into a savage"... Are you bedding that Savage? The point I am making is that components are out there that are made to a level never seen before. Remington actions often warped in heat treat, post partial machining despite what you've been told. I'm not making this stuff up, and while I haven't been a machinist since '74, I am one and have been a contract consultant for some pretty large firearms manufacturers. I bought my first cnc machine quite a while back, and I've made some pretty cool gun parts.

Remington actions are not heat treated (for hardness) after they are machined. They are machined from pre-heat treated material. Machining may allow for deflection if the material is not properly stress relieved. If an action, like most bolt actions, was heat treated for hardness after it was machined, it would twist itself out of shape when quenched. Any part that has as many thin sections as a bolt action receiver has, would not survive to a useful state. Am I bedding that Salvage? I don't do any work on Salvage arms, except the occasional Model 99. I machine a lot of 4140 (yes, on CNC) and it is all PH from the mill. I've made my fair share of gun parts over the past 30yrs, myself......

Remington actions are not heat treated (for hardness) after they are machined. They are machined from pre-heat treated material. Machining may allow for deflection if the material is not properly stress relieved. If an action, like most bolt actions, was heat treated for hardness after it was machined, it would twist itself out of shape when quenched. Any part that has as many thin sections as a bolt action receiver has, would not survive to a useful state. Am I bedding that Salvage? I don't do any work on Salvage arms, except the occasional Model 99. I machine a lot of 4140 (yes, on CNC) and it is all PH from the mill. I've made my fair share of gun parts over the past 30yrs, myself......

I said "post partial". ;)

One of us does not accurately understand what the "PH" stands for in terms of metal heat treat or hardness. It does not mean that the material is "pre hardened" as so many often think. It stands for "precipitation hardening" which means they CAN be heat treated to higher values, but that designation does not mean they are pre hardened. 17-4PH is often found annealed for machinability purposes, but can be heat treated to a hardened state. Some stainless like the 300 series can not be heat treated.

It's been an interesting conversation, but I have no inclination to have a "member" measuring contest with you. Have a good day Sir.