Doing your own Re-barreling

I do.

It can be bit tricky to get the taper just right on a bolt gun barrel, so it fits the stock correctly, but other than that, it's not a big deal.

AR type barrels are quite a bit easier since they normally don't have a bunch of tapered sections, and don't have to fit a stock channel.

AK, RPD, RPK, PKM type barrels can be a bit challenging, not because of tapered sections, but because they have a bunch of press fit stuff that mounts to the barrel. All those press-fit journals need to be held to about a 1/2 thousandth.

Tony

Last edited:
I do mine. I think it was 1995 or so when I did my first one in a steady rest. My process is way different now.

Tony pretty much summed it up all around, AK variants are like snowflakes it seems, every one is different lol.

I did only one. Does a savage with barrel nut count? It was super easy. But was wondering if there were stamping on the side of the barrel (caliber, twist rate, etc.); how to clock the barrel so that stamping is in correct location along with headspace?

I shoot highpower so go through a barrel a year and like any kind of metal and wood work so I purchased chamber reamers and ect. about year 2000 and have contoured and threaded and chambered my barrels since then. its another rabbit hole, and lots of new ways to make a mistake. I think there is a lot less black magic to putting them on and really its not that difficult. if you want to try something hard take a piece of wood and try to fit an action and barrel in it perfectly.

I shoot highpower so go through a barrel a year and like any kind of metal and wood work so I purchased chamber reamers and ect. about year 2000 and have contoured and threaded and chambered my barrels since then. its another rabbit hole, and lots of new ways to make a mistake. I think there is a lot less black magic to putting them on and really its not that difficult. if you want to try something hard take a piece of wood and try to fit an action and barrel in it perfectly.
Amen brother

I'm really wondering about if I can sell a rifle that I've re-barreled, if I have to have an ffl or????

It's no different than selling any other firearm. You rebarreling it doesn't change anything. Well, as long as it's greater than 16" anyway.

If you buy a receiver, or a barreled action, or a complete rifle,,, and decide to tear it down and fit a barrel to it, then resell it, you are "manufacturing" according to ATFE regulations. More regulations coming down the 'pike as to "dealing" in the firearms trade. 'Loose' language in the recent "Safer Communities Act" gives no exact number of arms an individual can sell as a private citizen. So, ATFE takes that number to 1 (one)! Sure to be studied by the courts, but.......... You re-barrel it and you have changed its configuration when it left the factory, you have "manufactured" a firearm. Doing work for your own use is just that, doing for yourself.
I'm really wondering about if I can sell a rifle that I've re-barreled, if I have to have an ffl or????

Last edited:
There is an on-going thread over onaccurateshooter.com that started as "what's the average cost for a custom barrel thread, chamber and crown". It evolves, as many threads do, and one of the best post is, "doing your own work is a matter of convenience",, you don't have to wait on a gunsmith. With the costs to 'tool up' these days, you could have many, many rifles custom barreled. And, to be 'in the business', you'd have to do many jobs for paying customers to make it worth your while and to pay out.

I've been doing my own work since the mid 90's. When you shoot benchrest, barrels are a component. Between the cost of having the work done, and the wait time, many shooters are doing the same thing. Once you start winning some matches, people start asking to have their barrel done. So I got a license and was very busy for 10-15 years.