Doing your own Re-barreling

Is it practical (worth it) to get an FFL 7 and just do "Bolt Action Rifle" work, chambering, cerakoting, bedding etc??
Can a guy make a semi retired living??

I am currently in a completely different industry (flooring) and am completely tired of it.
I have always done my own rifle bedding and modifications, arrow building, bow tuning etc.
I've threaded and chambered one rifle and installed a couple of my own muzzle breaks, all seemed easy and straight forward.
I have a capable lathe-brand new 1999 Taiwanese Birmingham 1440, and would like to get a Mill.

If your good at it, yes. Over the last 15 years of adulting every talented new smith with a short lead time becomes a talented smith with a long lead time... Don't think any of them are getting rich off of it, but they certainly seem busy.

So many only want to do "bolt action rifle work". It depends on where you're located. Are the other shops near by that do that work? You can work under a 01 Dealers license. That would be customer supplied receivers (your customer brings you a rifle or receiver to install a barrel on). You can sell the customer a receiver, then barrel it, as long as the sale of the receiver is a separate transaction from the barrel work. 07 will allow you to offer complete barreled receivers or complete rifles for sale (you can have a substantial amount tied up in complete 'products', hoping they sell for a profit). There's a lot of fine lines between 01 and 07. I found my insurance increased when I went from 01 to 07. Shipping has become a royal PIA, besides the increase in shipping costs. Lastly, it might depend on what kind of quality reputation you have. I did notice during my last inspection that the inspector had a rather lengthy list of questions , I suppose to determine if I was indeed "manufacturing". Lastly, do you have a separate building to work out of? I wouldn't want customers/clients in and out of my house. I have receivers in one of my shop safes that I have had for several years, because I can't see selling for 'cost'. Offering barreled actions (or complete rifles or barrels or receivers) means you'd need to advertise. There's not much of a price break on barrel blanks, unless you're buying "quantity" ($4000 or $5000 worth), and then you might get a 10% discount. And did you buy the 'right' barrels? And, the next guy through the door or on the phone wants a chamber that you don't have the reamer for.

Last edited:
Definitely a lot to think about.

What if I built a rifle for myself and later wanted to "gift" it to a family member. Would the FFL be necessary for that? If so could it be done through someone that has an FFL other than myself?

What if I built a rifle for myself and later wanted to "gift" it to a family member. Would the FFL be necessary for that? If so could it be done through someone that has an FFL other than myself?

The receiver is the serialized part, all normal ffl rules for your area apply.

You're in Idaho, as of today you could "gift" a firearm to a family member as long as you're not shipping the firearm to another state. I don't see Idaho enacting "universal background check laws" any time soon. As a 07, I am to mark firearms I make for my own personal use the same as I would a firearm built with the intent to sell (shop name or trade name and city and state) besides the chambering (to satisfy insurance). Some states require "universal background checks" as a matter of state law. ATFE requires you comply with federal law and the laws of your state, and any state you might ship a firearm to (if you are licensed). Even if you're not licensed, you need to adhere to state law. Fed and state laws are on-line,,,, you need to check the official gov web sites for the laws concerning "gifting" a firearm.

So did you all buy a lathe to do all of this? I have dreamed of this for years but that lathe investment is a huge leap. Then all the tooling/gauges to go with it.

I bought a lathe years ago as I am in the excavation business and like making things. I think if you like building things and to buy the tools doesn't put you in a financial problem then buy the tools, building things is good brain exercise. A person might save some money but it will take a long time of projects to get back your tooling costs, however if you buy the tools right they won't go down in value. I have seen a lot of midsized lathes sell for 3 to 5 thousand in auctions and payed about 6 thousand for mine because it is on the larger size and was in good shape. biggest thing is to check the ways for wear near the headstock where 90 % of the work is done and don't buy too small of one if you have the room. Then the rabbit hole starts, I have 2 mills and 2 lathes and literally tons of bits, grinders, steady rests , dividing heads, the guy with the heaviest pile when he dies wins and just think of how this will torment the son in law when he has to go through all this junk to sell it

So did you all buy a lathe to do all of this? I have dreamed of this for years but that lathe investment is a huge leap. Then all the tooling/gauges to go with it.

I did. Bought everything. I probably have $13k in the lathe and tooling and another $7k, minimum, in a mill.

I found I use both those machines more often for non-gun related work. They're quite expensive to be used for polishing sizing dies. LOL

Last edited:
I bought a 36" tida lathe years ago for $1500 that came with a fair amount of tooling, I also bought some tooling and made some tooling for that lathe. Recently decided to upgrade, sold that lathe for what I paid for it, some of the tooling that I bought and made went with it.
Replaced it with a larger, brand new 1999 lathe here a month or two ago, I've been getting and making tooling and getting it leveled out etc. for the the last month.

I enjoy working with the lathe, my grandfather and a couple of uncle were machinist.

As others have said you will use the tools for other things beside gunsmithing, I built a part for my kubota tractor that has been on there for probably ten years that fixed a problem with the hydraulic oil filter on that particular tractor.