Do you sort by case weight? Loading To Scale

Hi Mr. Quite Texan, To be completely honest, I don't know either. I stared loading this way when I was 19 and Ill be 73 soon. I only know it bothered me to see so much slop in Empty Brass and even in Loaded ammo way back when. For sure It cannot be helpful to the shooter who is looking for greater Consistency and Precision in his loads. I have always weighed and separated Cases, and always weighed and separated Bullets . I have saved empty Bullet boxes that are labeled 129.8; 129.9 ;130.0 ;130.1 for my 130 Grn Ballistic Tips. I have Berger 115 Grn Flat Base Target Bullets' for 308 Score Shooting that are 114.8;114.9 ; 115.0 ;115.1 and 115.2. From The same Box!!!!!!! Just to much inconsistency . All the case prepping, of the segregated cases, jut make me feel a bit more confident. I just this week bought another box of Weatherby Brass for my 270 Weatherby Mag. ( Midway $50.00 with shipping ) 7 were between 207 and 207.9 ; 4 were between 208.0 and 208.5; 4 were between 208.5 and 208.9 , and the rest were all between 206.0 and all the way up to 210.0 . Brass that weigh differently, Bullets that weigh Differently. If just make me uncomfortable. As I said before , if the object is just to shoot a deer at 100 yards, the I'm sure most of what I do is not necessary . I'm not saying its needed, I'm just saying I feel better knowing that loads are a bit more consistent!!

Last edited:
Shoot each cartridge, wait 60 seconds between shots
If your barrel's properly stress relieved and fit to the receiver correctly, you can shoot once every 5 seconds putting 10 shots inside one third MOA with top quality stuff.

My results across all cases were statistically insignificant

Last edited:
I loaded 10 rounds of .338 Edge last night. I did not turn the necks (my other cases are turned). I noted the neck thickness and case weight of each with a Sharpie. I shoot that Edge at least once per day at 910 yards, always after the wind starts blowing. Be interesting to see if there is any difference in MV or vertical impact.

If your barrel's properly stress relieved and fit to the receiver correctly, you can shoot once every 5 seconds putting 10 shots inside one third MOA with top quality stuff.
Absolutely a FEW shots in a row.
But when I try to get some consistent data I try to space the shots out not to over heat the barrel. I'll take a several boxes of twice shot PREPPED brass and spend a whole day shooting. I will have also did a very constant powder load and weighed all the bullets.
If you shoot 100 shots with 5 second timing in between shoots do you think that you would get the same results even with the best stressed barrel??? NO! the barrel would be heated up and then you would get unreliable results.
I am not saying that I have the BEST answer, but the way I am doing it until I find another way. Sometime I feel that I should not even post my information because someone always has a comment.
The reason I am on this forum is so that I can learn from everyone's experience and I - we have gained a lot of GREAT information. We try to put some of our experiences on this in the hopes that it may help someone else. Never say that it is the best way or only way just something that works for us and maybe someone else has something better, which we invite all the time. Just want to thank everyone on this forum for all the great information and help that you have provided to us and al on this forum!

Honest Tracker , I don't know buddy!!! I never did it any other way . For my 6mm BR Bench rest loads I separate and weigh by 1/10. max deviation. Example: `Lapua Brass 160.0 to 160.1. or 160.2 to 160.3 That's it!!! Most of the Bench Rest shooters do not even buy factory bullets anymore, and most use only bullets from Custom bullet makers. Below are two average target from my .308 Savage 110 Medium Heavy Barrel factory untuned rifle. ; Win LR Primers; Win Brass separated by 2/10ths ; Berger 115 Grn FB Target Bullets ; IMR 3031 Powder . I think its worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_18133 shots 308 .157 .JPG
    IMG_18133 shots 308 .157 .JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
I have taken boxes of 20 factory shells and sorted out the 10 closest in weight. After full prepping them.
(trimming and primer pocket and flash hole, i don't turn necks....yet ;-)

These 10 will usually come close to one hole at 100 if the rest is right(powder and depth)
Usually the flyers are gone with the extreme heavy and light brass gone.

I do have very limited experience on here compared to most, but have seen this with several rifles and calibers.

Honest Tracker , I don't know buddy!!! I never did it any other way . For my 6mm BR Bench rest loads I separate and weigh by 1/10. max deviation. Example: `Lapua Brass 160.0 to 160.1. or 160.2 to 160.3 That's it!!! Most of the Bench Rest shooters do not even buy factory bullets anymore, and most use only bullets from Custom bullet makers. Below are two average target from my .308 Savage 110 Medium Heavy Barrel factory untuned rifle. ; Win LR Primers; Win Brass separated by 2/10ths ; Berger 115 Grn FB Target Bullets ; IMR 3031 Powder . I think its worth it.
Lenny Foffa
I don't really know why you are saying "Honest Tracker, I don't know Buddy". Whatever way works for you is great for you. I never said to do the way I do it. I know some of the top "F" class shooting in North America and they use SMK or Berger Hybrids. There are a few custom bullet makers and I was actually going to buy some of his bullet presses and thought about making my own bullets, but time-money and the end results were negative to shoot and I buy SMK and Berger factory.
I guess I am way off what the 5% on this forum is looking for so probably will sign off.

A national highpower champion tested forty Lapua D46 30 caliber Full Metal Jacket Rebated Base 185 grain match bullets at 600 yards in a Hart barreled Winchester 70 in 308 Win. Fired about 10 seconds apart, the group size extreme spread was 1.92 inch.

A national highpower champion tested forty Lapua D46 30 caliber Full Metal Jacket Rebated Base 185 grain match bullets at 600 yards in a Hart barreled Winchester 70 in 308 Win. Fired about 10 seconds apart, the group size extreme spread was 1.92 inch.
Reminds me of F class; I watched Bryan Blake rip off 20 rounds in about as many seconds at 500 yards. Group measured 1.9 inches as well (using an electronic target) - Bryan makes his own barrels and rifles and the two he has done for me (both 28N) are outstanding, but I am not going to repeat his rapid fire exercise with either rifle.

Recent Posts