Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
As a profesional Kangaroo shooter, detachable mags are a real hinderance. We do it all under spotlight and very often the roo will move away while taking aim and I dont get to make the shot. Therefore it is much easier to open the bolt and push the cartridge back down into the mag box than it is to open the bolt, take out the round, take out the detachable mag, reload the round into the mag, and then put the mag back in. I no longer shoot roos profesionally but old habits die hard!

What is stopping you from doing the same procedure with a detachable magazine ? I can push a round back into the magazine that is attached on my AR-15, provided of course it is not a full 30 round mag...

As a profesional Kangaroo shooter, detachable mags are a real hinderance. We do it all under spotlight and very often the roo will move away while taking aim and I dont get to make the shot. Therefore it is much easier to open the bolt and push the cartridge back down into the mag box than it is to open the bolt, take out the round, take out the detachable mag, reload the round into the mag, and then put the mag back in. I no longer shoot roos profesionally but old habits die hard!

Just what I need is to spend thousands to make a gun as light as is reasonable and
then load it back down with unnecessary weight. Blind well is my favorite, bottom door
next. The younger crowd has been taken over by the tactical stuff to a large degree. They'll sort out for themselves what works and what doesn't.

Just what I need is to spend thousands to make a gun as light as is reasonable and
then load it back down with unnecessary weight. Blind well is my favorite, bottom door
next. The younger crowd has been taken over by the tactical stuff to a large degree. They'll sort out for themselves what works and what doesn't.

You can always load one and leave the mag at the lodge.....

You are 100% right, it's the 'tactical' look.lightbulb

After almost 40 years of stalking animals, I prefer a blind magazined style rifle. While hunting my rifle is in my hand almost the entire day and the metal of a detachable magazine or floor plate tends to suck the heat out of my hand or create uncomfortable pressure points.

Whether I'm hunting the beaver swamps in PA, any of the plains states or the mountains here in CO, I prefer my rifle or bow to be in my hand the majority of the time.

Maybe I'm just not a good enough shot to shoot w/ my gun slung over my shoulder?

I can see your point and I carry my rifle (most of the time) as well, however, trudging in the woods, it is better (for me) to have both hands free.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Lots of good stuff on here, knowledgeable and courteous posters too.

Very refreshing and not typical of most Internet forums....

I have no favorites on this one I hunt with Both a M1A match pc and use an old friend Savage 110C 7MM Mag
two types of feeders and they alway do the job.gun) lightbulb

I use both and it isn't an issue as long as one is familiar with the specific system. I did have reservations to begin with because the detachable magazine I have cannot be top loaded whilst in the rifle. The manufacturer explained to me that the reason for this was that single stack magazines ensured reliability of feeding with a push feed action. Staggered magazines with a push feed action may occasionally hang up on feeding some rounds. With controlled round feed, it isn't an issue.

So, the only solution with detachable magazines is to have a spare to enable fast reloading. Also, if one hunts with the mentality that they only have the one shot to make good (as I know we all do) then the issue diminishes even further.

Cheers!
Was thinking more of a 0ne Ton Griz coming at you and being thankful for the extra ammo <Grfin>