Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,114 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,037 48.2%

• Total voters
There is no simple yes or no answer to that question. It depends on what you are using the gun for. If you are stalking trophies and might only fire one or two shots in a trip then a hinged floor plate is all you need and can't be left behind or lost. If you are a pest shooter and blasting away at multiple targets by the dozens then big capacity removable mags are a must. Also Military use needs big mags and Tactical shooters Police , Snipers use mags to facilitate quick ammo type changes and reloading and it is slightly more clandestine to swap a mag than to reach up over the gun several times to feed a fixed internal mag .
If you are hunting real dangerous game then a double rifle with neither is very reliable and often used .

I have had both and I definitely prefer a DM. I would like to put a Wyatt's extended mag box and a detachable magazine in my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW.

I only have one rifle with a detachable mag. The problem I have with it is I'm limited as to the overall length of the cartridge. This limits my accuracy. My best accuracy is when I get close to the lands.

I think I'm going to try something new to me. 338RUM with Seekins 338 Lapua DBM. I will carry two different loads. The 3rnd magazine in the gun with close range loads, and a 5rnd spare with long range loads. We'll see how it balances out.

I have both types and I split my hunts equally with both. A spare dbm offers quick reloading as well as an opportunity to switch to an optional load. Since I've never had to do this, my spare is just a back-up for any problems with the first mag. For follow up shots I feel a tad more confident in my floor plate models for reliable problem-free cycling (push feed bolts) for the following reason.

Both my dms guns are by the same manufacturer with each mag designed to hold 3 rounds. Chambering the first round from a full mag can be iffy at times due to bolt override. As a result I do not top off the mag once the first round is chambered. Cycling follow-up shots with only 2 rounds in the mag has never been a problem. Both guns use plastic mags and whereas I really like the guns, the mag quality would be my only negative comment. The mag construction/function just doesn't match the quality of the rest of the gun. This is why I feel more confidant in the floor plate guns and I'd probably recommend a floor plate rifle to first time buyers. A dms choice will likely need t a back-up mag anyway, an additional expense in the purchase.

My experience with different brands for dms is limited to one manufacturer. I would be interested in a poll as to who makes the most reliable mag for dms platforms and what back-up mags for different makes cost.

I have all 3, bling mag, hinged, hinged detachable and detachable. My true favorite of all is Brownings system, hinged detachable by far. I prefer blind as it's more compact for hunting. But detachable is hard to beat. Hinged floorplates are a poor design and I actually hate them.

2 cents

Single shot solves all these issues for me

Honestly, with my hunting skill / luck a single shot beats a detachable magazine, floor plate or blind magazine. Since every time I walk back to camp or truck I unload, not running rounds through the extraction process or dumping them on the ground really keeps that one main round looking nice:D I have one particular .280 cartridge that has been the point round on several hunts in a row and it still looks great even though it is a SGK.:rolleyes:

since I like to carry my rifles and shoot the DM that sticks down below the trigger gets in the way. I do own a 270 Win Remington that has the factory DM and I don't have a problem with it.

Look at it this way. Feinstein hates detahable magazines in rifle application as well has hangun. Nothwithstanding, I prefer one when weight isn't a consideration.

If my ultimate goal was a super lightweight rifle, a side feed, multiple round rifle will be lighter in the same caliber as a bottom feed magazine rifle because the magazine weighs something even empty. Having said that, an alternative for me is a flush mount magazine. I don't care for one that sticks out, even though I have a couple rifles that do stick out, my 'go to' rifle is a flush mount.

It's a matter of preference and a matter of weight.

Recent Posts