• YES

Votes: 1,851 58.7%
  • NO

Votes: 927 29.4%
  • I am planning to get one

Votes: 373 11.8%

• Total voters
Hey westcliffe,
I think there are some web sites for your caliber AR? Not sure about the match barrels, but I wouldn't doubt you could find someone making them?:Dgun)Google it up, and you may be plesantly suprised?

I have written to Lija and Shilen and neither was interested. Wilson has introduced the 7.62x40 which is basically a necked up 223 case shooting a 110gr 308 bullet with a true 308 barrel. They have it up to 20" without a threaded muzzle. It has the advantage of working with standard 223 uppers, lowers and magazines. 223 brass is readily available, which is not quite true for 7.62x39.

I did find Kies Firearms today 7.62x39 FAQs who sell an 18" barrel, but for me the muzzle brake is totally unnecessary and just makes weapon disassembly harder. I wrote to them and asked them if they could do a custom 20-24" hunting barrel without threaded muzzle and fluting. We shall see what we get back...

Otherwise I may have to sell my carbine and start over with a custom build.

Most recent group after more trigger work on my AR in 7.62x39 @100yds

07-30-2011-target-270x300.jpg

I thought everybody had at least 1, just like a 1911:D Like any other thing, some people swear by a platform and others despise it. I don't care for Glocks. Never have, never will. I think of them as recycled soda bottles and toilet paper, even though there are many other composite guns out there that I might consider. As for the AR's, I have a 15 and a 10, but neither are used for home defense. That's the job of my Mossberg 500 with alternate slugs and 00 and my warthog 45acp. The AR's are just another rifle I might or might not take out when I go out shooting. The only one that is guaranteed to go out to my backyard range every time is a 22 pistol, being a Smith 22a, with a bull barrel and 2x4 grips (as my brother calls them). It just fit's my hand perfectly and after re-working the trigger assembly, is a very fast gun which I can shoot very well. Other than that, it's a piece of garbage that's made of old soda cans and spraypaint. I like STEEL guns!!

Hey Tinman,
I shoot a Kimber crimson carry full size 45, but I MISS my Glock 23 that I sold right after I had my CCW revoked.... That's a long story, and I really did NOTHING wrong, Just politics. Anyway, I love my Kimber, but my Glock was a tack driver too. Also one of the most dependable semi's made? Good choice on the home defence weapon, except for the slugs? Not sure how your house is layed out, but my son's room is just left of the front door, and mine at the opposite rear corner, so no slugs for me...2x4's and drywall don't stop slugs worth a ****. :D

mine is sitting at my house waiting for me to get back to the states to put it together. ordered all the parts separate so i could get exactly what i wanted and spend way less $$$$$.

mine is sitting at my house waiting for me to get back to the states to put it together. ordered all the parts separate so i could get exactly what i wanted and spend way less $$$$$.

You pretty much summed it up. Build your own. If you put top notch parts on it, it will be expensive. However, if you were to purchase a pre-assembled rifle or upper, and swap out parts to exactly what you want, it would be a lot more $$$.

A Ar-15? Like a woman and shoes, you can't have just one.. After buying one I thought it would be cool to assemble them... Now they are stacking up..
What a Fantastic and versatile platform!

I found that most of my shots were very long ones on the Montana prairie, and I carry my rifle most of the time (try slinging an AR15 with scope while skiing), so I sold my last AR15 and bought another bolt rifle with a 4X-16X Burris ballistic reticle scope.

Also, a CZ 527 at just under 6 pounds is lighter (same weight as a CZ 452 in .22LR) but longer barrelled and has a MUCH better trigger out of the box and carries a lot more comfortably than any AR15 I ever held in my hands. Not to mention it is steel where the AR15 is aluminum and comes with scope mounts at a lesser cost.

When varmints arm themselves (not necessarily the 4-legged kind), I will go back to the AR15 and 30-round mags or something similar. I believe my FAL with 20-round mags qualifies as something similar.

The CZ 527 "hits" on all counts, in front of or behind the muzzle.