Do You Hunt Upland Birds?

Do You Hunt Upland Birds?

• YES

Votes: 664 67.4%
  • NO

Votes: 321 32.6%

• Total voters
Used to hunt upland almost exclusively. For a long time now it's been ducks more than anything else. Nothing like cupped up and committed ducks over the deeks! Hoping to start chasing mountain quail more this year.

No I have not had the chance to hunt pheasants or such here in Canterbury. I know they are about in small pockets, manly on private property. Many years ago as a young lad of about 10, I remember going out with my dad and a group of local farmers with there young boys to shot 2 or 3 farms in the district for pheasants and quail. It was great , we even got to carry all the birds our dads shot, which looking back now may have been why we where aloud to go :). Still, one day in the great outdoors is worth 5 at work any time :).

We chase chukar in Northern Az and all the quail species. We seem to hunting every weekend.

No till & chemicals virtually destroyed the pheasant hunting in PA. Haven't been in over 20 years. Mostly just stocked birds now, ugh.

This question brings back a lot of good memories. My buddy and I had a pair of Brittanies Spaniels that we hunted grouse and pheasant with. We had a lot of good times and knocked down a lot of birds over the years. Unfortunately once the dogs were retired our time was taken up by work. The dogs are long gone now, but I still enjoy the memories of those days.

Jim

When I was a kid I hunted grouse with a .22cal. for a clean head kill. I wish we could do that on all birds. I hate the gastric fluids spilling all over the meat caused by shotguns!lightbulb

Used to hunt pheasants far more than I do now. Just lost the land to hunt on. In South Dakota the pay to hunt outfits are pushing everyone else out. We pass shoot more geese now. Hunted snow some this spring saw over 1 million in one day based on official estimates. Its just fun to see that many and hear the wings as they get off the water 3/4 of a mile away.

we hunt partridge in the fall, the picture below was the first time we ever took a dog with us. As you can see she was just a pup at the time and didn't hunt, more justing running around enjoying herself.

partridge.jpg

below is a picture of my hunt camp and hunting grounds

camp4.jpg

Oregon has some pretty good bird hunting. The problem is, the really good hunting is in the eastern part of the state and I live in the central part 3 to 4 hours away. I have a GSP and hunt quail more than anything else.

I take blue grouse with a bow and blunt point while elk hunting. Nothing like a good pot of grouse dumplings after a day chasing elk all over here and yonder!

Chucker and Huns mostly in the high country desert of Oregon and Washington behind English Pointers and short hair pointers. Many times on horse back. That country is very open so you need your dogs to run wide and far. Many times 300-600 yards out. Horse back is the best way to keep up with your dog. Dog's on point with drewl running down. Ride up from behind, ground tie your horse, pull your shotgun from the scabbard and let the fun begin. You gathers the birds from your dog's retrieve, birds in the saddle bags and off for the next find. Three guys on horse back and one or two dogs means 8-16 birds in a few hours. Change dogs after lunch and go again. Great fun

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.