Do larger calibers really compensate for bad shots?

I would use either rifle too, but...10 years of waiting for this hunt, the money, the preparation, the anticipation, I am not chooseing between the mentioned rifles. I am reaching for the tried and true 300Wby with the 165 grain TSX and taking pictures avoiding the exit wound in the off shoulder/chest area. If I could hunt elk as a resident every day of elk season id do the same. Only because, what the hell else am I going to shoot with my 300 Wby?
So this is a great example - is the 165 out of a 300 any better than a 165 out of a 7mm? Does that extra .024 in diameter really allow for a material margin of error?

Sounds like we are on the same page ;)

Trust me, I have hunted with people who are afraid to step into the woods with anything less than a 300 weatherby - I know the type.

Stick around for a while, I hope your faith in the membership here improves!

Would you trust a Berger on a quartering away shot? I wouldn't.

You scenario makes sense on a broadside shot only
This isn't really a bullet discussion, but I have taken that shot with a berger out of my 270 wsm a couple years ago on a big bull at 430 yards and dumped him.

What's wrong with putting a Berger behind the shoulder quartering away into the vitals, only thing in the way might be a rib

I should have been more clear on my example...I'm referring to a more severe angle, where the bullet would need to penetrate part of the paunch and maybe even a leg bone

Yes and no if bad hit more damage is done but higher recoil cause many shooter to make poorer shots using them.

While this is true for many, I do not agree completely as there are new recoil pads or brakes that can alleviate recoil for well trained shooters.

You sure about that?
You wouldn't be concerned about that explosive, non-bonded bullet penetrating the guts and bone that it would need to penetrate to reach the vitals on a quartering shot?
Respectfully, I think that you are fooling yourself and falling for the Berger hype.

Respectfully, your inexperience with Bergers and monos is showing. I have experience with both on quartering shots that have performed flawlessly on pronghorn to elk. No hype, just experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
While this is true for many, I do not agree completely as there are new recoil pads or brakes that can alleviate recoil for well trained shooters.

Respectfully, your inexperience with Bergets and monos is showing. I have experience with both on quartering shots that have performed flawlessly on pronghorn to elk. No hype, just experience.

Respectfully, your inexperience with Bergets and monos is showing. I have experience with both on quartering shots that have performed flawlessly on pronghorn to elk. No hype, just experience.

Maybe you're right then. If it works for you then carry on;)

You sure about that?

You wouldn't be concerned about that explosive, non-bonded bullet penetrating the guts and bone that it would need to penetrate to reach the vitals on a quartering shot?

Respectfully, I think that you are fooling yourself and falling for the Berger "hype."
How hard of quartering are we talking? Not really falling for the hype when I've witnessed it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.