Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

goodgrouper

Here is a pic of a .338 250 grain Lapua Scenar pulled out of newspapers and phonebooks at 980 yards. It left my barrel at 3075 or thereabouts. Obviously not a good game bullet at this range.
notgoodbullet.jpg

Here is how far it went in. Tumbling once inside about 5 inches of paper was very apparent but no mushrooming occured whatsoever!
newspapers.jpg

And here is another one that skimmed the top of the phonebooks and was laying on top of the burm about 20 yards behind the box. Still no mushroom!
bulletsonglove.jpg

Ok, so now to the Accubonds or possibly the MK's. Hope they do a tad bit better!

GG,

What gonehuntinagain said.

Get some of the 252 RBBTs. Don't measure or sort them, just shoot 'em. After you see your results, then do your measuring and sorting. Me thinks you'll be supprised.

Roy
I know this question could cause you great discomfort to answer, but here goes. From your drop value tests at long range what B.C. fits your ballistic program on the 252rbbt Wildcat. G.G. and I would like to know how it would compare to the Scenar. thanks----RHB---Don't worry we'll keep it a secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You hit the box at 1000yds+- WOW what else do you expect from a MATCH bullet,if you want a mushroom every time use a bullet that is designed for that.Get Richard to build some bonded bullets for you.They will cost...Jack

I recovered a bunch of 150 gr Nosler Partitions from my 270. I had just as many bananas as I had core separations and perfectly mushroomed bullets. There is no gaurantee with any bullet that all of them will expand perfectly.

I have shot animals with Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Winchester, Remington, Sierra, Barnes, Trophy Bonded, Swift and Federal. I have had several bullets not perform as well as I would have wanted, but only one I would classify as a failure. I still got the deer, but I do not push those bullets to the max anymore.

I must say that I have not shot any deer with SMKs or Berger VLDs, but that is only because I passed on shots I had because I was meat hunting and did not want to blow-up a front shoulder. Instead I shot a pair of deer this year with Barnes again. One at 75 yards and the other a neck shot at 275 yards.

Sorry about the tangent, but bullets fail. Of course, animals "fail" with them too. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Roy
I know this question could cause you great discomfort to answer, but here goes. From your drop value tests at long range what B.C. fits your ballistic program on the 252rbbt Wildcat. G.G. and I would like to know how it would compare to the Scenar. thanks----RHB---Don't worry we'll keep it a secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I thought I'd ask you guys for the same thing.

Actually I never got that far. By the time I got the SD down enough that the BC guess woould be accurate I was out of bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm down to 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and no rifle to shoot them.

A smith in Rexburg has been going on 2 months in swapping the win bbl for the RUM bbl. When I get it tuned up, I'll get some more of those 250 RBBTS. They were clearly the most accurate of any bullet that I tried.

I can only say that it was easier to get velocity with them and they shot a flatter than the sierra game king. THe SMK didn' t shoot worth squat in that rifle.

Sorry - want me to send these 3 lonely projectiles down that way?

Roy.
if you wouldn't mind that would be great!!

G.G. and I will set up two chronograghs and give those three pills a little toss down range to see whats what.

E-Mail me at [email protected] Thanks a ton Roy

-----RHB-----

Most hollowpoint bullets need hydrolic forces to initiate the nose upset. It looks like your box of papers is dry. I'd bet that you would have had different results if the test medium was laden with water or other fluid.

Hey Roy,

If you would like to, send a 3 250 grain MK's with the Wildcats and we'll run them too! Might as well figure out what their bc is along with the others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I would not be against trying the MK's or the Wildcats. HOwever, Varmint Hunter may have given the answer here. After thinking about that bullet all night, I decided to take some wire cutters and snip the tip of the bullet off and guess what I found.

The entire hollow cavity (which is 3 times bigger than the MK's) was completely stuffed with paper. Somehow, a dry spit wad the size of a pea got rammed into the hollow cavity through the poppy seed-sized hollow point!! THis looks to have stopped the mushrooming effect before it could get started.

So now I'm going to test it again with soaking wet phonebooks at 100 and 1000 yards. I would have started with wet paper in the beginning, but in the past I have had better results at 100 in dry phonebooks because it puts more stress on the bullet and the polymer tipped bonded bullets always held together fine no matter how high the velos were. But I guess these match bullets are a different story-especially at long range. Perhaps they really need the hydraulic factor there to open at this extreme of a range. I will post my results soon......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.