Do larger calibers really compensate for bad shots?

PredatorSlayer

I have seen this mentioned in several threads lately. My experience has been a gutshot animal with a 338 is just as bad as a gutshot animal with a 243. I am not convinced bigger calibers allow for a materially greater margin of error, especially if you are shooting a berger type bullet or one that expands well. What are y'alls thoughts?

Would you rather be shot wit a .22 or a .50 caliber?... I think that is the point of the statement... A 300 grain 338 bullet or a 95 grain 6.. bullet using your example... Marksmanship can be a factor in how either one preforms .... I guess how much more can dead be. This is a long range forum... So bigger heavier bullets that retain energy and buck the wind on the larger calibers that push the limits is always going to be preferable at long range .. Dave

Larger calibers have more energy potential and normally a larger energy transfer, so if the right bullet for the game hunted is used, It should/will perform better. But it cant make up for a bad hit. It can make a difference however if it is placed in the right place
but just not in the perfect place.

If anything, a smaller bullet that will explode inside and never exit will/can do more damage than a large bullet that simply passes through the guts without expanding or delivering very much energy. But ether way, a bad shot/hit is just a bad shot/hit and there is no good spin on it.

The right bullet for the game is more important than the biggest bullet.

J E CUSTOM

Generally, in my experience, a bad shot regardless of the caliber bullet will produce the same end result, but there are times when the larger caliber, with the greater destruction can effect results, depending on the location of the shot. Bullet design/ballistics between the two can make a difference. IMO, with the exception of dangerous game hunting, using this as a primary rationale for caliber choice may be questionable reasoning.

bigger is always better?
maxresdefault.jpg

I think originally the spirit of the bigger bullet allowing margin was not for bad shots, but rather tougher shot angles. If you get a steep quartering shot, the theory was better to have the big diameter, heavy hitter to reach corner to corner. Now with bullet advances and barrels twisted for heavy for caliber bullets it has maybe evened out some. It takes ALOT of tissue to stop a 130 grain .277 TSX and a bullet expanded to .55 or .68 inches doesn't make a lot of difference to the soon to be dead.

I will make the argument that a Bigger caliber will make up for a bad shot in SOME instances. in a gun shot instance... probably not! However as an elk Hunter I assure you that when crap is getting real and you need to get an elk on the ground before it leaves the country because of a bad hit, I am more than positive that a bigger gun will get it done better. Here is an example. I took a buddy elk hunting for the first time. I guess nerves got to him and he made a bad shot with his 25-06 hit her high in the leg but nothing in the chest cavity. It was an easy 250 yard shot but he just screwed up plain and simple. I wasnt even on my rifle because I assumed she would be one and done. well off the elk go with her in the middle of the herd, down the canyon and around the corner. I told him to stay on her blood trail not knowing how hard she was hit and I cut across to try and intercept them. I got over there and they were just topping up out of the canyon and and over to the next which was a couple miles away. I could not pic her out and they were only getting further away, then I noticed an elk standing in the trees looking at my about 450 yards away so So I get down where I can steady my Binos and Finally She takes a step and I can tell its her. She starts to trot after the rest So I range where I think she may stop before she disappears out of sight. It was around 500 yards.. 502 I believe it was.. Anyway I dial the NF on my 375 RUM for 500 and settle in She hits the edge and never slows down and never turns So I sent a 270 gr TSX up her left butt cheek and through her hip which anchored her instantly. I wait for my buddy to catch up and we hike across to where she was and the bullet traveled the entire length of her body and was under the skin on her chest.... I dont believe the 25-06 would have anchored her at that range and angle. so thats my argument FOR it.

Last edited:
I've had the pleasure (and displeasure) of guiding a lot of spot and stalk hog hunters in my day, using everything from 223's to 338's. Large boar hogs are tough animals that don't like to bleed much, even when shot through. It's my experience (on hogs) that a poor hit, regardless of caliber, will more likely than not result in a lost animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.