DIY custom turret for Leupold VX3

I'm using Avery Label Paper in full sheets, I cut them out with a scissors. I sandwich them between layers of 3M packaging tape--the underneath layer so you can remove it from the turret without making a gooey mess, the top layer to make them water resistant (and it overlaps the junction so they don't come off). It takes a little practice to develop the right technique to get them on there nicely but it isn't too hard. It all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.

My current printer is an HP LaserJet CP1525 and while it does do a nicer job, for years I used a regular old inkjet. The top label in the pics (on the Premier) was made with the inkjet. What makes them look so good is filling the cells black and using white colored font so they match the scope.

THATS SWEET!! i have that same scope mine only will go to 780yards i wish i could get 1000 yards iam going to have to try that.gun)

I was going to ask the same thing - if it is possible to get a copy of the file you use in Excel.

And on top of that, it would be VERY cool to see a step by step of you making a label (pictures of your process) - I would like to do this all for myself some time. To be able to do this, I think, would help a guy understand the whole process even further. Thanks Jon - very much appreciate your input here and in other forums.

Darby

I figured it out with Leupold target turrets. I'm sure it's the redneck way though...that's how I usually do things. With Leupold target turrets:

Get into Excel. Set your column width to 0.33. Now, each one of your cells is 0.25 moa wide (correlating to hash marks on the leupold turret). So, the edge of each cell (left to right) would equal one click (1/4 moa). If you "format cells" and add borders (vertical) on the edges only, when printed, these "borders" will correlate to 1/4 moa hash marks. Use the cells above (merge and center two to center the number over the hash mark) to add in your numbers or yardage. Do the same thing above that for windage holds at specific distance (for ONE wind speed).

I made one in excel that was strictly MOA. Directly below that, I used a ballistics calculator printed in 10 yard increments to tell me what MOA adjustment I needed at specific distance (for me it was easier than figuring even - 600, 700, 800 - increments because rarely are even yardages an exact moa adjustment). I scaled my hash marks for roughly 25 yard increments with every 100 yards labeled (with a 10 mph wind hold above it).

Here's the redneck part, with two layers of plastic shipping tape on the back, when wrapped around the turret, hash marks line up just about perfectly!lightbulb

Sweet! I'm going to try later tonight to figure it out with vortex moa turrets!
gun)

I figured it out with Leupold target turrets. I'm sure it's the redneck
way though...that's how I usually do things. With Leupold target turrets:

Get into Excel. Set your column width to 0.33. Now, each one of your cells is 0.25 moa wide (correlating to hash marks on the leupold turret). So, the edge of each cell (left to right) would equal one click (1/4 moa). If you "format cells" and add borders (vertical) on the edges only, when printed, these "borders" will correlate to 1/4 moa hash marks. Use the cells above (merge and center two to center the number over the hash mark) to add in your numbers or yardage. Do the same thing above that for windage holds at specific distance (for ONE wind speed).

I made one in excel that was strictly MOA. Directly below that, I used a ballistics calculator printed in 10 yard increments to tell me what MOA adjustment I needed at specific distance (for me it was easier than figuring even - 600, 700, 800 - increments because rarely are even yardages an exact moa adjustment). I scaled my hash marks for roughly 25 yard increments with every 100 yards labeled (with a 10 mph wind hold above it).

Here's the redneck part, with two layers of plastic shipping tape on the back, when wrapped around the turret, hash marks line up just about perfectly!lightbulb

gun)
Nice, keep us informed about how it omes out for the vortex moa.

I figured it out with Leupold target turrets. I'm sure it's the redneck way though...that's how I usually do things. With Leupold target turrets:

gun)

I wonder if there are different excel programs because I tried the .33 and it didnt work for me I had to be at .5 to be close to .25 MOA. Maybe the circumference of the turret makes a difference. Probably have to measure circ then divide by the MOA for each specific turret.
I think it would work for me at .5 though.
gary

Hello, i search this Execel-File to make a new label on my Turrets. Can someone help me??
Thank you!!:)

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.