DIY Brass Tip 350 SMKs

royinidaho

There are threads discussing steel and alum tipped bullets. I can't find any of them so here's a new thread.

Kirby and others have posted some results of modifying factory offerings and results.

Kirby indicated that point concentricity tolerances could be pretty large and still produce decent results. Figured I'd check it out.

My efforts with 270 bullets did not turn out well. My machining skills are pretty low.:rolleyes:

My concern with 375 SMKs is unpredictable terminal performance. The jacket is very heavy and holds together, though very ragged, when pushed through an 18 inch poplar log. Wow, what a wound channel!!!!

With my 270 cal tests I found that with Nosler BTs terminal expansion in media could be perfectly duplicated. Though I couldn't get them to shoot well.

After some calculations and experiments I came up with length, angle and shank dimensions I put some together and gave them ago.

The pic shows an unmodified 350 SMK between 2 352 RBTs (Roy's Brass Tips :rolleyes:)

I started out with a final bullet weight of around 342 grains. After refinements in workmanship the final weight is within a tenth either way of 352 grains.

I loaded 3 in the 375 Allen Magnum with 141 gr of Retumbo (1.5 gr less than normal). Resulting MV dropped from 3250 to 3225 which is little easier on the $4.00 cases. :)

Bullets with the most wobble at half way up the brass tip were selected. Shots were at 300 yards, prone.

The Pic tells the story.

Extreme long range testing will be forth coming.

I'm kind of excited about this venture.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 90
Those are some sleek looking little pills aren't they? I look forward to your testing Roy, let's see how they do on a woof :rolleyes:

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.