Aluminum tipped 350 grain SMKs - was someone doing this?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by montana_native, Nov 18, 2014.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. montana_native

montana_native Well-Known Member

I thought I read on this site that the 375 cal SMK was being combined with a Corbin aluminum tip with quite a bit of success, especially regarding an increase in BC. Does anyone have information on this?

Thanks.

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Well-Known Member

Kirby has been messing with them.

I'm making my own brass tips for the 350 SMK

I don't know of any bc info yet as most efforts have been directed on determining how much "run out" is tolerable.

Richard Graves did a ton of work and voiced the opinion that run out tolerance could be quite large with pleasing results at distance.

Here results of my initial test.

Attached Files:

3. buckbrush

buckbrush Well-Known Member

That's three shots with what you culled out and measured as the worst runout?

4. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Well-Known Member

Dave Tooley messed with aluminum and plastic tips for a couple years. Google Tooley custom rifles

5. royinidaho

Yep...

6. buckbrush

buckbrush Well-Known Member

That seems reasonable. Have you compared to those that you found to have minimal runout to see if there is an appreciable difference?

7. royinidaho

Not yet... I doubt I'm going to worry too much about it. As my skills with the lathe improve and I learn a bit more about press fit tolerances run out will get better.

I can't, at the moment, find Kirby's post regarding wobble. He reported the culls shot, I'm guessing here, maybe a couple of inches larger group @ 1000 over the more straight ones. Everything was well under MOA, I believe...