SMKs for hunting

I guess I will be the mean guy this time.if you did a search you would have got an answer to your question.and yes I am not trying to be a butt about this,but this same question has been answered many times.

yes use the bullet for a hunt'n load.even an A-max is a good bullet to hunt with.you can even take them out to 400 or better depending on your shooting skills.it just takes a good placed bullet of any kind to make a kill.but one more thing to add.use your better judgement for the answer you are looking for.and again I wasn't being a butt.John

I guess I will be the mean guy this time.if you did a search you would have got an answer to your question.and yes I am not trying to be a butt about this,but this same question has been answered many times.

yes use the bullet for a hunt'n load.even an A-max is a good bullet to hunt with.you can even take them out to 400 or better depending on your shooting skills.it just takes a good placed bullet of any kind to make a kill.but one more thing to add.use your better judgement for the answer you are looking for.and again I wasn't being a butt.John

Thanks
But just so you know I did do a search but evidently I don't know how to work the search function because I did not find anything, come to think of it I have never been able to find anything useing the search option on here. I was hoping someone would link me a couple of the previous discussions. Thanks again

Thanks
But just so you know I did do a search but evidently I don't know how to work the search function because I did not find anything, come to think of it I have never been able to find anything useing the search option on here. I was hoping someone would link me a couple of the previous discussions. Thanks again

Look below for similar threads. Good luck!

Ed

To answer your question I havn't killed anything with the 175 MK personally but my hunting partner has . he killed everything that he shot at last year with his 300 Win Mag . I loaded them for him and I have his load data at home . Contrary to what the na sayers say they will kill white tail deer upclose and personal try 40 yards out of his 300 that was where the doe was standing when he blew a baseball size hole in her :D he also killed a small 8 point in the thick timber as well it was upclose to but i can't remeber the exact distance.

BB

I have shot pigs with both 7mm and .308 175 SMK bullets this year. They work as well as any other game bullet on these tough skinned varmints.

I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with one.

Caveat: They wont make up for poor marksmanship, you still have to hit vitals for a quick kill, or bust bone for a quick follow up coup de grace.

Contrary to warnings by the maker, they do expand and hit hard.

YMMV.

I have no experience with the bullet that you are referring to. However, I have been using the 150gr SMK in my 7mm-08. It has performed very well on Yotes and Ghogs. I did do some testing with 1gal milk jugs and have discovered that at 100yds, you will get alot of 7mm entry holes and 30cal exit holes. At 200yds and beyond, I have gotten good eruptions and flying water. I think that the further it goes, the more it will expand.

We've used 168g SMK's out of 300 WSM in a 1-12 twist 27" barrel running about 3300 fps. We've killed several deer long range and have had very good success with them. Deer on the other hand hate SMK bullets :D Here's a video from a few years ago with the components listed above.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii242/KevinCram/?action=view&current=JohnCrumb625yardbuck.flv

KevinCram

KevinCram

Last edited:
The 300 WSM with 175 SMK's is my go to rifle for generral hunting and has been since the WSM was introduced. A few speed goats many hogs and countless deer. The buck was taken at 300 yards and the doe at 600. No complaints with this combo. Most shots have been over 250 yards out to 800.

IMG_0151.jpg

DSCN1049.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.